is it wrong to make a child play outside by themselves if they are the only child? They are 6 yrs old.

and i mean just in the yard while i am close by checking on them

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Um, no. My son is an only child and I let him play on his own and he is not affected by it. He knows how to entertain himself and doesn't need be at his beck and call. Why would it be a bad things to let an only child play by themselves?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes you should be with them 6 is too young to be out alone
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 4:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Nope I dont think it is wrong. She shouldnt have to play alone all the time. You could have friends or neighbors over but she will have to learn to use her imagination and play alone some. Make sure she has plenty of things to do like a bike or sidewalk chalk. I wouldnt make her do it for long but she should be able to entertain herslef for 30 minutes to an hour without bugging you constantly.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No I think it helps them learn to be creative and explore and invent things to do...good for their minds! And also good for exercise and fresh air and sun!!!!

Dont feel guilty mom!!!
    Anonymous

• Nothing wrong with it at all. I did. My son did. We got to play out alone even earlier....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No. As long as your yard is a safe place to play, age 6 is old enough to play outside alone. My 6 yr old loves to play outside, but not so much by herself so my 2 yr old and I go out with her. (I'm not comfortable letting my 2 yr old play outside without an adult)
    Anonymous

• My DD is 6yo and she plays outside alone. (Of course I'm within a safe distance from her, and constantly check on her.) Our yard is very safe, and she knows and abides by her boundaries. I don't like her to play alone all the time, so sometimes we have a cousin or the neighbor kids over to keep her company.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 4:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No, My son was the only child until he was 9 years old. I would let him go out in the yard and play while I was busy in the house. I would check on him often. As he got older, I let him go off for a bit with his friends too.
    It can be worrisome though, we live in a crazy world filled with crazy people. Keep eyes and ears always open. But we can't hold our children so tight that they don't learn to function on thier own sometimes.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No! I think its great for their imagination and its healthy. Their an only child why shouldnt they get to enjoy the sunshine too!? ;) I bet they enjoy it.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 5:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• It depends on your child's personal development. Do you they seem mature enough to understand rules of playing outside without you right there? If so, then it is no big deal. My 6 year old plays outside. We gave her a camera and treasure hunting "stuff" so she can explore the back yard. She loves it. Then she comes in and we look at it and talk about it. It gives her room to herself and allows me time to get some things done.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 6:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2010