What to do when your stepchild thinks they know everything

and Daddy doesn't step in to help and isn't a help because he is always telling stepchild how smart and brilliant they are? (Granted, the kid is smart, but thinking they know it all and purposely not doing what we ask because the kid thinks they know better than us is a really PITA.) Oh yeah, and Daddy also won't do anything because he doesn't think manners or misbehaving is that big of a deal. I have to deal with the kid most of the time. What can I do to get this child to behave?

PS. BM not in the picture

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What does the child do that he misbehaves? I have 3 older kids and they all think they know everything, specially my teenagers.
    Anonymous

• Depends on there ages. What you do about it.

Answer by louise2 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• OP - Backtalk. purposely do something after specifically asked not to, constantly lies about things,basically is hardcore disrespectful. I've just had enough. Nothing seems to get through. Privileges are lost, there's early bedtimes, etc. What would work better?
    Anonymous

• I would say don't label them as the stepchild, just treat them how you would treat your own children. As for your husband, demand that he help you to enforce things. Tell him that you are helping with the manners so they know how to act when they grow up and get out in society.
    learningmomma

Answer by learningmomma at 4:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Do you have kids of your own.

Answer by louise2 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Since what you are doing isn't working then reverse it. It sounds to me like you are fighting the current. Instead try going with the current. If the child thinks he/she knows everything then let him/her prove it. Let them see they are wrong. As for backtalk, I would simply ignore their bad behavior and later tell them that if you wish to speak to me and have me listen then show me respect and I'll show it to you. By the same token, if you ignore bad behavior then it's vital to praise good behavior so they will repeat the good behavior.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Maybe you should leave the discipline of him up to his father. I know you said you are the one dealing with him but maybe there are some issues with BM not being in the picture. Having a parent who is not involved sometimes makes it harder for the ones who are there.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• It sounds to me like you are letting their father deal with the discipline - & that is not working. so i would say set some house rules. Back talking is disrespectful. I do not allow my children - SKs or DD - disrespect me. I understand everyone thinks that SMs should leave discipline to the bio-parent, but this is my house. I will not be disrespected. The kids will listen to me. There are consequences to bad behavior & I will enforce those consequences. There are consequences to good behavior & I will enforce those as well.

You have more say here than you are givng yourself credit for. Take away privledges whatever is needed. I would honestly have a serious talk with your SKs. I would explain that you will not be disrespected under any circumstance. I would explain that you love them/care for them & you will treat them with respect as well.

I am sure I sound harsh, but I actually have a great relationship w/ my SKs.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2010