Breastmilk thoughts

My daughter is 8 months. I breastfed excl for 6 mnths and then have veen pumping 5x a day since addingformula when i am just too tired to pump. Anyway i am 20 yrs old and i would like to stop. I would like my body back! i feel bad though i dont know what to do bc i feel like im beong selfish but at the same time id like to feel good about my body again i havent in almost 1 1/2 yrs.

annie27713

Asked by annie27713 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-1 Credits)
  • I think you did a great thing for your DD. If you feel that it is time to let it go, then its time. I felt the same way about wanting my body back- I see no harm in stopping & there are planty of kids who are healthy and fine and have NEVER had any BM!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Drop a pumping session a week till gone. All there is to ending the pumping and breastfeeding.

But...that won't make much difference in your body. Meet the new you...Pregnancy made permanent changes.

Weight Watchers if you feel you need to lose some weight. And you always could have worked out, even while nursing or pumping. Anyone telling you differently was wrong.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I do work out its not about weight just wanting to feel normal again.
    annie27713

Answer by annie27713 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• stopping lactating isn't going to get the "you" back... you don't exist anymore, welcome to the new you! sorry, have to be blunt about it... if you want things to change, weight, etc. then you have to do something about it, quitting pumping won't fix that. Exercise, sunshine, and a good diet will.

You should drop one session a week, like giamante said, otherwise you'll be even more miserable.

I understand feeling like your body doesn't "belong" to you any more (I had my first child @ 16, then the other two @ 20 & 22- I do understand), but simply stopping what you are doing will not fix that- you have to work on you.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• lol- You're never going to be the same ol' you again. But I do understand feeling done with nursing... but give it a few more months. Once your child is over a year, you won't have to supplement with formula... you've made it this far!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I think it is selfish.

You will never be the same. Unless you are a horrible mom and pawn your kid off on everyone else constantly and never pay her any mind, you are forever changed and you will never feel "normal" again. It's called being a mother, welcome to the club.

Just because they study exclusive breast feeding til 6 months and say it is best/healthiest does not mean the benefit ends then. Think what could happen in a natural disaster or if heaven forbid she gets extremely ill. Then you will not be so happy to have your boobs back to yourself.. will you?

I seriously hate that people think this is optional and only think of themselves. If breast feeding/pumping is not killing you, why is it such a big deal?
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding is best but if either mom or baby is done, then perhaps it is time. I wouldnt say its selfish at all to want your body back, but I would reccomend trying to hang in there a little longer if at all possible. But if you come to resent the time instead of enjoying the time with your child, perhaps its best to stop.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• "I do work out its not about weight just wanting to feel normal again. "

Can you explain what you mean by normal? As I said before, there are permanent changes and there are some things you're going to have to get used to...other things can be compensated for at the very least.

It's not a selfish wish. There's not a single mom who doesn't have your thoughts....it's a question of what's reasonable to expect.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I don't think there is normal when you have a baby, whether you breastfeed or not! Breastfeeding or not isn't going to change your body at this point. It's not selfish to wish a phase of life was finished. I just think that you're going to be disappointed that it isn't that different.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• People are so rude. Your looking for support and most havent given any- If your thinking about being finished with nursing, let it go and dont look back. Your daughter is smart & healthy Im sure and thast isnt going to change bc you stopped nursing! :)
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2010