My Jacob got out of his booster seat and ran down the street a week ago...

My 4 year old autistic child ,Jacob is a runner. He is also too smart for his own good. He is in a booster car seat and my husband had to rig it because he kept taking his seat belt off. (took a heavy duty dog collar and attached it to the booster seat -well he finally figured it out too)So my husband and I not yet knowing he figured it out,we took the groceries in the house as usual befor taking the children in. When I get outsid again, I freak! JACOB!!! I yell. He ran down 2 houses and for the first time on one of his runs he decided to cross the street.Needless to say, he almost got hit by a friggin car. Lucky for him all he got out of the ordeal was a skinned up knee. I started to punish him, but then I was just happy to get him.
I am just hoping that this constant need to run will be something he grows out of.

learningmomma

Asked by learningmomma at 4:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if it were my kid he wouldve gotten a spanking out of it too
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Um...why not get the kids out first? He also needs a spanking...even Autistic kids can learn somewhat discipline and how to behave. Autistic kids can learn to not get out and run. Where is your question?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• What's the question?
    Anonymous

• Get the child into the house before the groceries.
    Anonymous

• my kid always goes in the house first,then dad brings in the groceries and mommy put them all away
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I have two Autistic children and my now 6 year old has "escaped" at least 4 times since he was 18 months old--thanks in LARGE part to my now 8 year old opening the baby gates and the garage door!!! (I don;t think he was too fond of his younger brother's arrival! LOL)

THIS is why we have YET to remove any of our baby proofing--still have cabinet locks, baby gates blocking the door to the garage and front door, including storm doors with MULTIPLE latches/locks, located above his and his brothers reach, bungee cords, extra gate locks on the backyard, pool gates, etc, and have relocated the garage door controls well above their reach! But of course, NOTHING beats constant vigilance! :o)

I DO trust that neither child will "run away" on us now, but they do not yet understand looking before crossing the street, or thinking about the repercussions.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Who leaves kids in cars?
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 5:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• you never know what kids will learn next , id be safe then sorry and bring the kids in first, plus someone might take your child, even if you think you live in a safe neighborhood, you never really know, there are some sick people out there. Take this as a warning for the future and dont beat yourself up for it.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 5:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• i'd start punishing him for running away. he's old enough and even tho he is autistic, he knows some things- he might even know that he's not supposed to run off, but he wanted to so he did. just like a normal kid. not sure if spanking will work for him, but find something that he likes/enjoys and take that away from him for running off. and if nothing else, i'd invest in a harness backpack and even have the kids (depending on the ages, but the 4 year old can help) bring in some of the groceries.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 7:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Perhaps he should be in a harnessed booster seat. Kids aren't supposed to be using belts until they can understand how to use them safely. He clearly doesn't.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2010