Do you hide/keep/seperate money from your spouse/partner? Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• no. because believe in Perfect Trust and Perfect Love.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I keep separate money from him, but it's not a secret. Each payday we both get a certain amount to spend on whatever we want - something that's specifically not in our budget. I love all sorts of crafts and find it expensive, so he knows I have a separate account where I stash $$ saving for a convention or some new gadget. He does the same, since his hobby is restoring cars - he has a separate account to save for various tools and parts. Plus, we tend to use this money on gifts to eachother or usually dinners out of the house.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 6:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Nope, what is his is mine and what is mine is his. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be?
    Anonymous

• Nope. He'll sometimes stash our bill money because I'm a horrible impulse shopper, but I know where it is, I just don't mess with it because it's for the bills.

LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 7:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No I don't. He's done it to me a few times- apparently I don't budget enough for my birthday, or our anniversary, so he has to stash away extra money to get me something special. I'm not sure if I find it cute or annoying though...
    Anonymous

• We've been married for 10 years, and we've ALWAYS had "your, mine, and ours" bank accounts! There is NOTHING wrong with having your OWN "fun money" or money you don't need to justify! I find it completely eliminates not having enough money to pay bills, or provide for our family....I've seen MANY arguments and some divorces that have been the result of one or both people in the relationship not being money conscious, and not communicating when it comes to spending money!

Of course, my husband and I sit down every month and sort through the bills to be paid, so each of us is fully aware of what money we do and don't have!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Everything is joint builds up more interest that way.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No. We both spend money on things we want, and we have that written into our budget. But there is no money that isn't accessible to both of us, and there is no money that is hidden, ever.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2010