How bad will it really hurt?

Im getting induced at 41 1/2 weeks and the Dr. already said the baby is measuring big. I was wondering what is the likely hood that I will tear, How bad is recovery, what is your experience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Epidural!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Whenever someone asks this, I'm reminded of Bill Cosby's description of childbirth: Pull your upper lip up and over the top of your head...that's how it feels!

For a man who could never give birth, he wasn't too far off!

Seriously...I was good till they gave me pitocin (which is what's used to induce labor). Drug of the DEVIL, I tell you. I would labor for three years rather than ever have that stuff again...I didn't hurt till I had the pitocin. Which led to an epidural...so I felt nothing of the delivery.

I tore, not too badly and the recovery was fine. I had more trouble recovering from having my wisdom teeth pulled.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Just because the Dr says the baby is big does not mean it is. My daughter measured really big and she was only 8 lbs 9 oz . Induction goes different for everyone just know that if things don't progress good enough then you could end up with a csection. Mine went ok but just know all the risks.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• AMEN! I've always said, I don't know what natural childbirth feels like (I have 2 kids) but I am NOT so curious as to find out. You can get an epidural, and if you DO tear, let them know if you're in pain after it wears off and they can give you some pain meds and a prescription to take home if needed. Let them know if you're planning on breastfeeding though, cause they may need to prescribe something different if you are. :) Good luck with the LO!
    Mamapanda

Answer by Mamapanda at 6:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I was induced with both of my kids. First I was induced on my duedate and after I got the epidural I couldn't feel enough to push so they lowered it then after that I felt everything. She got stuck in the birth canal so I had to have forecepts I did tear I had to have I think 4 or 5 stitches. It isn't that bad. They give you a sits bath that helps a little. She was 8.1 and 20 inches I had small hips. With my second I was induced a week before my duedate because they were trying to have her smaller than my first but that didn't happen. She was 8.7 and 20 inches. I didn't feel a thing with her and I didn't tear or anything. So it all depends. I hear people say how bad it is to be induced and that they would never do it again, but honestly I loved being induced cause I was already at the hospital and everything. If I ever have another baby and I am asked if I want to be induced I would do it again.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I had patocin as well. Feel free to pm me for any questions to talk or whatever
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Tearing has a lot to do with your position in labor. If you don't want to tear, get birth support from a doula or midwife or OB who regularly practices massage and counter pressure techniques to support the perineum. Squatting and birthing in water help some women avoid tearing. The traditional lithotomy position is the most likely way to have a tear.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I'm still not sure why I was given pitocin but, labor is painful but wasn't as painful as I thought. I never knew I tore but I tore 4 times, 2 which required stitches. In all honesty, I thought the ring of fire was the worst part of my labor.
    I'm guessing it depends on your pain tolerance. I have people tell me how bad labor was and people who tell me it was a breeze.
    Recovery was fine with me. I was up and walking after labor and on the go the moment out of the hospital. The only thing that bothered me was sitting certain ways & of course, trying to have sex 4 weeks after and 6 months later it's still somewhat uncomfortable.
    I went in expecting birth to be some bloody, wrenching pain so I was pretty shocked when it wasn't. I also had an epidural, placed in the wrong spot so it didn't work.
    Good luck & early congrats on your LO!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• my DD was 8lbs and the docs had to cut me twice to get her out and my cuzin had her son at 9lbs and she didnt tear or anything everyone is diff and also had stiches and i was walking right after delivery with both of my children!! good luck momma everything will be fine
    Mommmy_To_3

Answer by Mommmy_To_3 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• What method of induction is being used?

No one can tell you the likelihood of tearing. We don't know how big the baby is or the size of you.

Recovery is different for everyone, and every birth. With my 3rd child I was up and functioning normally in about 2 days. With my second child, I was miserable for 3 weeks.

Pitocin is evil. Avoid it. http://www.childbirth.org/articles/pit.html

Anonymous