lithotomy position

ok so i'm giving birth in a hospital. i don't want to be put in the lithotomy position because there is no help from gravity and you are more likely to tear...can i insist that i be put in a different position. were any of you put into an upright position to give birth in the hospital?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Learn about what you want first - http://www.childbirthsolutions.com/articles/birth/pushingpositions/index.php

Then talk to your obstetrician to let him/her know what you want.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Your baby, your body, your choice.

Your OB or midwife should discuss with you your birth plan and that should include mobility and positioning. Some hospitals have "policies" about getting an epidural then moving around. Some have "policies" about IVs and being in bed. Your health care provider can give you the best idea of what is customary in the hospital where you plan to birth.

You may find in the middle of labor that being on your back feels better. It's okay to change your birth plan. Hiring a doula is very very very helpful for women who are birthing in a hospital and want help having their birth plan honored. Women who birth with doulas have a much lower rate of tearing, c-sections, and other complications. Many doulas will help you write up a birth plan and advocate for you if your plan is different from "policy."
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• it's so interesting the way you put things. you want to be put in another position. you should choose a hospital where you can put yourself into any position you want! there are a lot of lousy hospitals out there that will all but insist you are flat on your back w/ monitors etc. i was at a pretty good hospital where i was free to labor and birth in any position i felt like. good luck :)
    Anonymous

• Talk to your OB about the hospital where he/she delivers and find out. I had an epidural with #2 and #3 so I was in bed, but I was sitting up instead of laying down - however my labors were quite short. With #1 they had to end up using the vacuum, so I was laying down. #4 was a csection and I didn't care what position I was in!

Answer by missanc at 9:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2010