what should i do?

my 10 month old isnt taking formula anymore and wont take milk either what should i do?

kcangel3303

Asked by kcangel3303 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You didn't say if you had started solid foods yet. That could be the problem - perhaps your child prefers the solid food or is not as hungry for milk/formula. If that is the case, feed less solids or start with the bottle and then give solids.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Your baby has to have formula until 12 months for brain growth. If the baby won't drink it then the baby will have to be tube fed. You can't give a baby cow's milk until after 12 months.

What do you do? You can't let a baby go even a day without formula. If the baby won't eat the best place to take the baby is a major children's hospital or a hospital with a children's emergency room.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Have you tried a sippy cup? When my son was ready to wean he started refusing the breast and bottle so we started a cup and he was okay with using that. Call you dr and see if he will recommend some vitamins and if that combined with some high nutrition solids will tide him over until the 12 month mark, or until he stops refusing formula.

Answer by missanc at 8:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• A normal child won't let themselves starve or dehydrate when there is something being offered to them. How long as he been refusing to take anything for? Are you feeding him anything else? When I weaned my kids off formula I did it slowly, mixing milk into their bottles so they would gradually get used to the new taste. Formula is sort of sweet tasting so you can't normally go from straight formula to straight milk. Keep offering the formula and have your baby checked by a doctor to make sure there aren't any digestive issues causing him not to eat.

And don't freak about tube feeding and all that garbage that idiot up there said. Children can be tricky but they it's against their natural survival instinct to allow themselves to starve.
    Anonymous

• My daughter went through this phase around his age. Like others have said, try a sippy, if not, cut back on the solids. I always had to "sweetly" tell my husband that the formula came first, than the solids.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• it has been a little over a week now since he started refusing the bottle. I have tried giving it to him in a sippy cup but he refuses that too. he will usually take a bottle at night if im lucky he is taking a max of maybe 8 ounces of formula a day and thats fighting him to take it. doc said to try other furmulas or milk i have tried just about every formula on the market (very costly experiment let me tell ya!!) and he doesnt seem to want any of them. he is eating solid foods and taking water and some dilluted juices in his cup.
    kcangel3303

Answer by kcangel3303 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2010