Why do you think our nation is obese?

I don't know where the blame falls. I don't know if it's the dollar menus making unhealthy food cheaper and more accessible? Parents passing down unhealthy eating habits to their children? Clothing companies trying to make a buck by putting smaller sizes on bigger clothes? Convenient electronics that make us not have to move as much? Genetics? Global warming? I don't flippin know, but it seems everywhere I go I am seeing more and more obese, not just overweight, people. That is including children and it is sad. What are your thoughts on this?

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 7:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• uh, bc we over eat and sit on our behinds
    Anonymous

• Eating too much and lack of exercise. Most car trips are to local srores within walking distance. America's health could be improved very easily, the early onset of juvenile obesity and diabetes arrested, heart attacks lessened and health costs reduced dramatically. But only if wartime- type food and gas rationing was introduced and I can't see that happening.

People are too greedy, lazy and self-indulgent to do anything about it.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I think there are several different reasons. One being that junk food including foods on the dollar menus from fast food restaraunts are cheaper and quicker to buy and to eat.SO many people now live in such a rush rush life style, they eat on the run,they hurry up, grab something cheap to eat.
    I also notice that the portion sizes at restaraunts are gigantic anymore.And people eat all of it.
    Another reason I think is because we are more of a computerized world now.How many hours do people just sit and do stuff on thier computer and the only excercise thier body gets is when they move thier fingers to type.
    Another reason I think , we are a depressed world.We take lots and lots of antidepressants and many of them cause weight gain.There are so many other reasons, I can think of but no more room to type them here!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• For all the reasons you stated, a combination of all of them!

Answer by older at 7:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Everything you say above. And the tendency of objects that are once at rest to stay at rest. It's too easy to NOT do anything.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Are you kidding? You're trying to point the finger at everyone but the individual. You don't realize that it's the individual's fault as to why they're obese. It's not electronics, Fast Food, Clothing Companies, Magazines, or the media. It's the individual's fault. Someone doesn't just wake up one day over weight. They accumulate weight by making poor choices for themselves. Whether it's poor eating habits or lack of excersise. Clearly both. The companies that benefit from this aren't to blame, they're only doing what any other company would do. They're profiting from people's bad choices. However, you can't blame them for making America fat, because America wouldn't be fat if the individual made a better choice. McDonald's, Clothing Companies, Weight Watchers, Excersise equipment wouldn't make the profit they did today if the individual always made the right choice.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• It's NOT genetics. Americans come in so many genetic varieties that are found in other parts of the world where there is not an obesity epidemic.

Our culture, government, and industries have worked together very closely to make the worst food the cheapest. We subsidize corn so we can buy it below the cost of production. We factory farm our food. We have become a culture that relies on animal products for the bulk of our calories. What we don't get from animals we get from corn. Our business culture does not allow time for eating throughout the day. Our sense of entitlement has driven junk food prices lower and lower.

Ever see which companies funded the campaigns of the most powerful politicians? Lobby money is public record. The food industry is poising us.

No one wants to claim responsibility for what s/he puts in his/her mouth.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Too much eating and not enough exercising.
    Anonymous

• I think one part of it is the chemicals and additives in our foods. And the next biggest part is our lifestyle, we don't get enough exercise, movement. Even housework doesn't take the effort and energy that it used to take 50 years ago. We are so busy now, that we have all these time-and-energy-saving products, so that we can WORK more. And, our WORK is less strenuous, too. How many physical labor jobs have been replaced with machines that we stand around and watch work???
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• a lot of things play a big role...in my personal opinion the t.v. and internet plays the major role in most obese people i know. besides the over-eating
    MiMiBreezy

Answer by MiMiBreezy at 8:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2010