$850 for 1 hour??? REALLY?

That's how much we were charged for an EEG for my husband. A 1 hour procedure that needed 1 doctor and 1 nurse. That is just NUTS!!! That's more than I pay for our mortgage! I understand that equipment is expensive, but it's also tax deductible. And it's not like this is a small practice. It's 10 neurologists, so there are plenty of people using this machine. These costs to find out what's wrong with my husband are just ridiculous and frustrating!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Agreed, but at least you still have the freedom to get the tests your husband needed and not be told what tests you can and cannot have. Be thankful.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yep, My 30minute surgery to get my gallbladder out, I was charged over $6,000 by the surgeon. He saw me for 5 minutes before the surgery, five minutes the next day, and 10 minutes for a follow up appointment. So he worked on my case less then an hour.
    The entire surgery cost over $15,000. Which is just insane!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• did you know the cost before hand? What is your GP thinking sending you for that if he knows how much it is. Crazy, it is money hungry world gone crazy stuff. Just as I've said before, real people can't afford to be unwell anymore. I hope you are going to question it with them -that is ridiculous and you should have at least been warned prior, to be given the choice
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Now with the healthcare bill, things like that will cost a lot more. It's sickening!
    Anonymous

• See, they only have to pay for that equiptment once. Once it is purchased they need a certain amount of patients to be charged in order to break even. Then say 10 more patients (for example) to make a profit from what they purchased for that machine. However, once they make that profit they are no longer in debt for what they paid originally. Which means their excuse that it's to buy equipment is no longer valid. Yes, they have to pay the hospital staff, buy supplies, and pay for maitenence. However, when you really look at what they charge you for the facility and staff they use, they're taking us all. I went to my first OB appointment before my insurance kicked in. A vaginal exam, urine test, and a couple of questions cost one thousand dollars. One thousand dollars for a couple of tests and for her to shove her fingers in my vag. I understand that supplies and employees cost, but that appointment wasn't worth 1000$.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Did you try negotiating with them? Maybe offering them $500 cash and seeing if they'd take it.
    Anonymous

• IF you insist on paying out of pocket, that sounds fair. Those of us who HAVE insurance plans, either have those procedures covered by at least 80% or the final cost is significantly reduced BECAUSE we have insurance. If you only carry "catastrophic illness" insurance, then "routine" or non =-emergency procedures ARE going to cost you!

My husband recently participated in a sleep study that lasted a total 9 hospital hours. His bill was $97--due in part to having met our deductible, and because it was medically necessary and coded as such!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Lorikeet, that's just a stupid assumption to make. We do not CHOOSE to not have insurance. We just don't have coverage right now because we'd be bankrupt if we tried to insurance BECAUSE OF HIS MEDICAL PROBLEMS and his VA hasn't kicked in. We plan to get reimbursed.
    Anonymous

• Pistols$850 for 1 hour

Anonymous

• Such is life. I have to have yearly tests done to make sure that my cancer hasn't come back. I had to have 3 whole body scans in Feb. and 2 radioactive iodine treatments. Had I had to pay for the costs myself I would have paid over $20,000 for 3 pills and 3 scans that took about an hour each. With my insurance I paid $0. No deductible, no %. It was all covered.
    Anonymous