Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ex taking me back for visitation

divorced and have 2 kids 8 & 6. my ex is a deadbeat and has supervised visitation. he started 12/09. he told me that in 12 weeks hes taking me back to court to get the kids back unsupervised. he was very abusive and there is possibility of sexual abuse that the kids counselor is dealing with. there is no way that i think the kids are ready to go back unsupervised. theyre afraid of him. they dont even say anything in supervised visitation because theyre afraid that he will hurt them once they do go back. i wish they would stand up for themselves but theyre afraid to. is their anything i can do? how can i prevent him from getting them back?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (8)
  • There is a reason that he was given supervised visitation and the courts know the reason, so I doubt that they will give him unsupervised visitation unless he has undergone counseling/therapy, etc. Make sure you have documentation and GO TO COURT on the day he makes his petition.

    Answer by neebug3766 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • If the courts decide he is able to visit with the kids unsupervised, there's nothing you can do about it. I hope you're not "influencing" your children's attitudes towards their father.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • couseling is part of the court ordered visitation. bad part is is that he goes and is on his best behavior for an hour and manipulates them that he has changed. i know this guy and he is not capable of changing. he even harrassed my husband at work last week. hes stolen financial info on us and is doing whatever he can to make life difficult. this all happened after his couseling. he definetly has not changed. im supposed to put my kids at risk because some counselor who sees him for an hour believes his lies?!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • im appalled that i would be "influening" my childrens behaviors toward their father!!! did you read the part where they have been abused by him?! they have good reason to be afraid and thats why i have them in counseling!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • Get a good lawyer.


    Answer by Gailll at 8:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • id love to get a good lawyer. ive gone bankrupt paying for my last one. i cant afford one and i make too much to get a free one. i have no choice but to represent myself.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • Go to court and show reason why he should not get unsupervised visits

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

  • Are the kids seeing a counselor without him? If they will talk to the counselor and be honest with him/her then have the counselor come to court to testify (or have some kind of legal copies of notes/reports that can be submitted as evidence). Good luck.

    Answer by lissa27504 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.