Alcohol in your home?

Do you have alcohol in your home? How often do you drink it? Do you get drunk in front of the kids? Or have they ever seen you drunk? How young would you let your child try/have a glass of champagne?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't drink and I don't allow any form of alcohal in my home.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes, we do have alcohol, no we do not get drunk in front of our kids or without them. We drink a few times a year, as moderation is key to sending the right message to children. I won't let my daughter taste champagne until she is old enough to purchase it herself. To do so would be providing alcohol to a minor, which is against the law.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• We don't drink. We only have alcohol in the house when we throw family parties, for my brothers and in laws enjoy a nice cold beer. No one in my family gets DRUNK at family parties.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• We don't drink nor do we allow alcohol in our home. This is the new rule since my husband struggles with alcoholism. CPS will take your kids away if you are intoxicated and something happens to the kids on your watch, so it's never good to over consume alcohol when there are children in the house.
    Anonymous

• Yes there is alcohol in my home.

I have a drink when I feel like it. Usually when the kids are in bed.

I do not drink to get drunk- that is for college kids who do not have a care in the world.

No, my children have not witnessed me 'drunk' (please refer to previous statement).

My children can drink when they become of legal drinking age. Not before.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes. Rarely. No, I don't drink to get drunk. No, because I don't get drunk. I will never "allow" them to try it - I will gladly pour them a glass when they are of age and aren't driving after drinking.
    Anonymous

• no theres none in my house
    i don't drink at all
    ive never been drunk
    my kid cant see me drunk cause im not interested and i havent had my 1st drink
    If he wants to drink he can do at 21,i hope he doesnt ever but i cant speak for him.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 8:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes, we have alchohol here. Theres half a bottle of Canei wine.Another bottle of wine that is super old and I don't remember what its called,lol..but its being saved for a really special occassion, which in that case it may never get opened, lol. And we have a bottle of unopened 1967 Crown Royal. And that one will most likely stay closed cause I'm pretty sure by now, it tastes like gasoline,lol.
    I'm pregnant right now so I don't really drink. I had a glass of wine with dinner the other night when company was over, thats why we have the open bottle of Canei, which is getting tossed.
    The SO never has been a drinker, he may social drink a beer or 2 with company over or if we go somewhere.
    My son had his first taste of Champagne at the age of 8 for New Years,and every year after.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• yes we have alcohol in the home, dont drink often (i have had maybe 3 glasses of wine and a smirnoff*? in two years) and if we do we have a rule. If one of us drinks the other on does not even if it is just a sip. I feel that one of us has to be in our right frame of mind at all times you never know what could happen.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• We have alcohol in our home.
    We probably have a glass of wine with dinner once a week. The kids see this. They see us having ONE glass of wine and then NOT driving. We think this teaches responsible drinking.
    We may on occasion have a beer, or a mixed drink. We do not get drunk.
    We have champagne on special occasions like our anniversary and New Year's.
    We never hide this from our children. We do not drink to get drunk. We don't want to make drinking be some secret taboo activity. We would rather teach our children responsible drinking.

In my state, a parent/guardian or legal age spouse can provide alcohol to person's under 21. If my child wanted to "taste" something I would allow it rather than have it be some great mysterious thing. Things are less tempting when they are not forbidden.
    Anonymous