is this normal

33 weeks, and my whole body is swelling most in my legs and arms and face.. is this normal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes and no. Go lay down with your feet elevated. The swelling should go down some after awhile. If it doesn't, then you probably need to be concerned enough to call your OB.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Swelling in the hands and face (especially if it's occurred rapidly) is a sign of preeclampsia...better be on the safe side, and call your doctor, or go in and get checked out.
    Anonymous

• at your next appt check for pre-eclampsia (sp?) otherwise known as toximia. the doctor should be checking for it at every appt, (urine samples at every appt) so if you're at risk of it or have it they should have already told you. otherwise, it's water retention, and it's normal. for me, as soon as i stood up the water would rush down to my feet (i layed down with my legs propped up), so i would put my tennis shoes on while they were still propped up, and tie them really tight, so the water would stop at my ankles lol. it helped me walk easier, and kept my feet from getting too wide. GL
    Anonymous

• I was check for preeclampsia 3 days ago, and was fine had a little swelling then but i had a pair of pants on yesterday that i no longer can fit even half way up my legs I know that sounds weird but even my husband was like wow.. mostly in my legs but some in my face and arms and just over all body wise
    Anonymous

• Call your OB. That's a lot of edema very fast.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 9:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• well you're in the stage of having OB appointments every 2 weeks and if they didn't notice it at your last appointment I would say that you are sweelling too fast! taht could mean there is a problem! I would call your OB and get in for an appointment as soon as you can. Also cut down your salt intake as that can make swelling worse.
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 11:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Get to l and d now!!! i had preeclapsia at 34 weeks. My doctor ignored the signs because not all of them were there. That much swelling so quickly is a huge red flag. Unless your doctor gave you a 24 hour protein urine test and monitor your blood pressure over a few hours then he didn't do it right. The little peer sticks in his office are misleading. Even how they take your blood pressure can affect the results. It can be messed up. If you are developing pre e you need the shots to mature your babys lungs. Please just trust me. Go to preeclapsia.org they have more info there. This can kill you and your baby. Plasenta abduction ect. Ignore your doc and go to labor and delivery now. Tell them what's going on
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 7:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2010