Have you seen any media ad about breastfeeding?

The only ads anyone can talk about are the ones about formula.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There have been attempts to put ads on tv, but unfortunately, breastfeeding advocates aren't exactly rich. They have to fight formula companies, who fight like hell to keep them off the air. The formula companies claim it will make women feel guilty. Whatever. It just isn't a money maker.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• yes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY5zR1TvZ3w
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m64569p9QpU&feature=related
    Anonymous

• Nope, can't say that I have. Perhaps you should contact advertising agencies in your area and volunteer to be their next breast feeding volunteer?
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes, I have seen some on local network TV. Why?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Some organizations have done them, but not many. I've often said I wish that La Leche League would spend more money on marketing than on conferences that preach to the choir.

But here's a serious question. If there was an ad campaign for breastfeeding that was similar to the ones against drug use and smoking, do you think there would NOT be a hue and cry over it? What if someone took the data released yesterday about lives and billions saved by breastfeeding and turned it into a marketing campaign?

I think we would see an awful lot of women claiming they were being bashed for doing things differently. Which is a damned shame. One of the most important things stated by the authors of that report was that MOTHERS should not be blamed for the low rate in this country.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• No, never seen a single one. I see several a day for formula though. I guess no one stand to make any money from breastfeeding ads and that is why we don't see any.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Because breast milk isn't quantifiable.

It get's "tricky" for the FDA to say yeah breastmilk is best - then some crackhead will poison her kid and say well I was told BFing was better than formula.

Just because YOUR breastmilk might be best; doesn't mean every skank in the country who pops out a kid's is too!

Too many ambulance chasing lawyers in this country - everyone's afraid of being held liable for something ignorant.
    Anonymous

• breastfeeing doesnt make anyone money so why would there be any ads about it?
    shash1

Answer by shash1 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• But here's a serious question. If there was an ad campaign for breastfeeding that was similar to the ones against drug use and smoking, do you think there would NOT be a hue and cry over it? What if someone took the data released yesterday about lives and billions saved by breastfeeding and turned it into a marketing campaign?

I think we would see an awful lot of women claiming they were being bashed for doing things differently. Which is a damned shame

The problem gdiamante is 'most' of those ads wouldn't simply show the benefits of breast milk; but would quickly turn to the vein of women here - formula is poison why give that to your kid; you're lazy if you don't try; if you really cared about your child's health you'd have kept trying blah blah blah...guarantee the ads would be simple beneficial facts and there likely would be no problem but we know that's not how it would end up.
    Anonymous

• Attn: shash1

The gov't (and others) used to be in the business of releasing PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

This would fall under that category
    Anonymous