Christian moms: why do YOU think abstinence-only education for teen doesn't work?

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 8:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually I believe in Abstainence and Chastity. And no, they aren't the same thing.

Abstainence generally refers to only abstaining from sexual intercourse itself.

Chastity is a virtue that teaches us how to regard sexuality (ours and others), and sexual activity in the appropriate way (in my case, as a Christian as something given to us by God as a gift to be used in the way it was intended, i.e. in and for marriage only). (By the way: You can be abstainant without being chaste and vice versa-- you can be chaste without abstaining from sexual activity...think of a married couple that has deep respect and love for each other).

Does this always work? Well, does anything always work? The answer is: it depends on the person. However, without being taught abstainence and chastity, then how can anyone expect teens to wait for marriage?
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• One word... hormones!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Did it work for you?

Answer by older at 8:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• thats funny i know plenty of kids that made it to the altar a virgin
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 8:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• older
    Did it work for you?

*****************

I lost my virginity at age 27.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I know plenty of teens that have chosen to wait.
    Actually teen pregnancy is dropping due to abstinance.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Because most parents don't take an active enough role in their kids lives. My parents did and until I divorced my ex was the only man I ever had sex with. It has little to do with education - too many parents just leave the responsibility for their kids with the public schools.

Answer by missanc at 8:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I lost my virginity when I was 18. I stayed a virgin through high school, so I would say it worked for me.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I'm thinking about this for my life as a grown woman getting out of yet another failed relationship. The reason I've failed in the past is due to temptation. I didn't know how to keep myself away from those situations. When I was a teenager, I think there was a lot of pressure as well. I was very curious and I didn't really understand all the emotional aspects either. Even though my parents and school tried to encourage abstinence, the focus was stds and pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• i agree with some of the pp's, the parents don't take action in their kids lives, don't talk to them enough, and just leave it to the schools. while the schools, basically say "don't have sex but if you do, here's some condoms" and that's about it. not much teaching there. not really even safe sex teaching if you ask me
    Anonymous