my daughter is 5 and she always throws a tantrum when ever we have to leave from somewhere, i give her warning about leaving and she still does it but seems only with me not her dad, any suggestions? a

miasmom0908

Asked by miasmom0908 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My grandson used to do that. He grew out of it.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Does dad punish more strictly? Try his punishments.
    Anonymous

• Tell her "We are leaving in five minutes and you have a choice to be good and leave nicely or to throw a tantrum. If you chose to throw the tantrum your (favorite toy) is going to be taken away for the rest of the day. If you chose to act nice then you get to listen to (favorite song) in the car." If she throws a fit take the toy away. She'll get the hint real quick that you aren't messing around. The problem is there is no real discipline for throwing the fit so she knows she can get away with it and with most parents you give in for a few minutes at least some of the time to avoid a scene. I went through it and this works!
    Anonymous

• Give her no reaction.

Definitely a hard phase. Pick her up and carry her out, and let her cry, scream, yell, and fuss as much as her little heart desires. Just don't give a reaction. Don't tell her to stop, don't try to ration with her. Eventually she'll get tired of throwing these tantrums because they get no attention. They get no reaction.

I had to do this with my son and it worked. We went to the store, and he didn't want to get out of the car himself, he wanted me to pick him up. I gave him a choice. Either you get out of the car yourself, (since he knows how and I have another baby that cannot do it herself to get out) Or We'll just go home and I'll do the shopping without you when your dad's home and you can stay home. He refused so we went home, the whole time he screamed to go back to the store. I followed through. I took him home left him with the hubby and he tested me only once more before he stopped.

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 10:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Good luck.

Stay consistent with whatever you do. It's hard, it may take 5- 10 times but in the end it's worth it.

Children do this, for control in my opinion. They don't have control over many things, and so sometimes they fight for some control. Throw tantrums even. Just remember your job is to help her through it. She's not doing it to upset you, and if you're consistent, you'll get her through it.

Let us know how it goes. :)
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 10:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2010