would you really go on a website called milkshare to get your child breastmilk from a stranger if you could not produce or would you just go ahead and give formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• honestly, I would give my child a strangers donated milk b4 giving him/her the crap they put in formula.
    shash1

Answer by shash1 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Formula

Answer by missanc at 9:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I agree with shash1
    Anonymous

• No I wouldn't. I EBF my 8 month old son and I am very passionate about it, but feeding my son someone else's breastmilk is just weird to me. I would give him formula.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I would get milk from a milk bank or from a contact provided they had medical testing to make sure it was safe before I would give my child formula. It's not that strange, women used to do it all the time, but physically, it was called wet-nursing. I donated milk to a woman on milkshare whose child had a serious dairy allergy and could not have cow's milk and even goat's milk and other non-dairy foods gave her digestive upset. It worked out well because I was on a vegan diet. As I said, if I could not produce with a future child for some reason, I would want breastmilk for my child 100x over formula. By the way, WHO guidelines state that pumped breastmilk from a certified wetnurse or milk bank should be given before resorting to formula should a mother not be able to produce.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I would do formula.I wouldn't give my baby someone elses body fluids.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• but if you can give your child animal milk and body parts, why would it be any more weird to give him/her healthy and nutritious breastmilk?
    shash1

Answer by shash1 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I would buy it. It is healthier than formula...even if it belongs to another. No different than an organ transplant,,,it belonged to another.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Use of infant formula is cited in numerous health risks. Studies have found infants in developed countries who consume formula are at increased risk for acute otitis media, non-specific gastroenteritis, severe lower respiratory tract infections, atopic dermatitis, asthma, obesity, type 1 and 2 diabetes, sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), eczema, necrotizing enterocolitis and autism when compared to infants who are breastfed.[45][46][47][48]

Although some early studies have found an association between infant formula and lower cognitive development,[49] other studies have found no correlation.[45] However recently more questions have arisen. It has been discovered that iron supplementation in baby formula is linked to lowered I.Q. and other neurodevelopmental delays.[50]
    Anonymous

• Depends. How dependable is "milkshare"? I live in a very rural area, so would there really be anyone close enough that would provide it? Is it tested, or are you just taking the person's word for it that they are clean and safe? Does it cost anything? I wouldn't be able to afford any big expenses. Especially if I could get the formula free from WIC.
    Anonymous