Moms, I need help dealing with my child's African American hair.

You know what our kind of hair is like. As soon as you comb it, it seems to magically tangle all over again. I need to know how you lessen the pain of doing your child's hair, if it's even possible. My 3yr old dd will cry at the very mention of having her hair done, and she will cry from start to finish which can take as long as 2hrs. My apartment neighbors probably think I'm in there torturing the poor thing. I absolutely hate putting her( and ME!) through this everytime I need to wash or restyle her hair, but it's got to get done. I know her pain, I've been there. And I'm pretty sure I've tried everything aside from shaving it off or relaxing it.

aluvk4evr

Asked by aluvk4evr at 10:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is half peuto rican and she had wild unruly hair as well. Right now it is braided. The first piece of advice is to comb it. The longer you go wiIth out combing it the worst it will be. Keep it greased and well moisturized. The easiest thing for me is lots of plats, Mine still makes somewhat of a fuss but she knows I am going to comb her hair she she just grins and bares it.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• have you takin her to a salon to get it trimmed? sometimes that can help a lot! and i dnt know if you have a good one where you live but i know there is one where i live that gives great advice on easy manage tips for afro-amer hair. other than that i would just recomend a good conditioner and lots of it.
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 10:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I'm in the same boat. My daughter(10) begs me to shave it off. I do twists but now that she is getting older it's time for a new look and I don't know what to do. I recently watched the documentary "good hair" and it left me just as confused as ever. 3 years old is way too young to do a relaxer. I think the youngest age is 6 because you can cause permanent damage to the scalp. I am trying to keep it natural as long as possible because I don't want her to lose her hair.

Anonymous

• I'm not african american but have nannied for a little girl (also white) who had horribly tangled hair. She HATED having it combed. We used the spray detangler stuff and it worked pretty well. Not sure if this will work for you but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 10:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• www.treasuredlocks.com/blhacafa.html - this site may help.. my child has very knotted hair I found lots of conditioner helps.. also allowing the child to watch a cartoon while you do it may keep her mind off of it.
    Anonymous

• Doesn't braiding it pull the hair from the roots which causes breakage? I would say wash it and blow dry it straight.
    Anonymous

• use mixed chicks for her hair. My daughter is half black/white and I swear, this stuff works soooo well !! I have tried everything under the sun. With the deep conditioner just leave in for 5 or so minutes in the shower or bath. You can buy samples for 99 cents. What is her hair like ? My daughters is curly like shirley temples hair was but smaller curls.
    eblue3

Answer by eblue3 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Sorry for the late response, actually forgot I had posted this question, lol. Thanks ladies, I plan to try many of the advice given here. I hate putting a lot of product in her hair, but it does look like there aren't a whole lot of options left.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 6:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• If you braid her hair and tie it in a scarf at night for her to sleep in, that should keep her hair for at least a week so you don't have to do it so often. Good luck.

Staceythewriter

Answer by Staceythewriter at 9:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2010