Medicine for my 2YO

We have tried EVERYTHING to get her liquid medicine in her... putting it in applesauce or pudding, she won't eat it... putting it in her sippy cuo ir mixing it with a drink, she won't drink it... just holding her down was working for a while, but now she just sits with it in her mouth til it just runs out. Blowing in her face won't make her swallow either. They are VERY important meds (some for seizures) so I can't just not give them. It's a 2-hour battle every night (doing it as I type, actually) and it reduces me to tears nearly every time.

Mamapanda

Asked by Mamapanda at 10:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Health

• Talk to her Doc ASAP!!! There might be an injectable form of the med that you can use to make sure it gets into her system!! Her Doc might also have some other insight into the issue!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Sorry, mama! The first suggestion is very good. Probably you've tried putting it in all her favorite foods and anything else I might suggest. Hang in there! I remember going through this trying to give a kid medicine (I'm a nurse). When we finally got it down her, she puked. It was antibiotics, and we just couldn't give it. In the end, she healed, but it sounds like that's not an option for you. Courage!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Aw man that would make me cry too mama. There HAS to be another form of that medicine that you can try...right? Talk to the doctor. She can't be the only one who has this problem.

Is it pill or liquid?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• It's liquid. The issue is that she recently became a special needs child. We just got out of the hospital after being there for over a month. She doesn't act like a normal 2 year old anymore, she has regressed a LOT after her seizures started.
    Mamapanda

Answer by Mamapanda at 10:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Bribe her.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I would! Lol. But we have a hard enough time getting her to even take an intrest in ANYTHING... I can't bribe her at this point. I'm at wits end and feel I've run out of options other than the morning, afternoon, and nightly battles.
    Mamapanda

Answer by Mamapanda at 11:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

----------------------------------------------
    Aw man..I'm sorry she's struggling.... Poor little one and I feel just awful for you having to go through that over and over again. I wish I could think of something to help. Is the medicine available in patch form maybe?

This is very sad....I cannot imagine your stress.... :(
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• This may sound cruel & I'll probably get bashed, but here's what I did until she was old enough to swallow a pill. After catching her, I'd lay across her legs & arms, plug her nose, squirt in the meds & hold her mouth closed (or she'd spit it back) nose still plugged until she swallowed.

Yes, I did try everything else first: bribery, punishment, mixing it with something else.

The only other thing I can suggest is try teaching her to swallow a pill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2010