for those who make homemade laundry soap....

I'd like tomorrow to be the beginning of my homemade laundry soap journey lol...but I am nervous about using borax since it is toxic....got any good recipes which clean the clothes really well but with no borax? or will borax be ok as long as I follow the recipe ?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I do use borax in my recipe but have slowly been cutting the amount down and substituting with more washing soda. My clothes seem to be just as clean with less borax. Here is the recipe I started out with..

1/2 cup washing soda, 1/2 cup borax, and 1/3 bar of soap grated. (I use Ivory or Fells Naptha)

I used to turn this into a liquid detergent but stopped becasue there was so much extra work involved. You can pm me if you want to know the instructions for that. Now I am just using this and making the powder form... and like I said cutting back some of the borax. I don't even really use a recipe now just kind of eye it.. I'd say I use about 1 cup washing soda, 1/2 cup borax, to 1/2 bar of soap now.

MamaMulder

Answer by MamaMulder at 10:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I've never had issues with skin irritations or anything from the borax and have even used it to wash our diapers in.. I do always make sure to put the detergent in first and let the water fill a bit before I start adding clothes. I guess because I am paranoid about the borax and just want to make sure that there wont be any leftover on our clothing..

Good luck to you! It is a HUGE money saver for us! :)

MamaMulder

• I made some homemade laundry detergent, but it takes Borax. It takes a box of Borax, a box of washing soda & a bar of Zote soap or three-four bars of Ivory soap. Here's a cool tip I learned. To make the soap much easier to grate or even to break it up and make it easier to crush up with a food processor, put the bar of soap in the microwave for 3 minutes. It will expand and will actually be crumbly when you take it out, not to mention really fun to watch! If you use a small bar of soap, I would only mic. for about 2 minutes. Three minutes was way too long for a bar of Ivory soap. The Ivory exploded and was all over the place. I wasn't watching it while it cooked, though. I used to use cloth diapers, and the women in our cloth diaper group used this recipe. I didn't realize Borax was really bad. I really like the detergent, but I wish it had more of a smell. You only have to use a TBSP or 2 if it's a yucky load.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Don't use Borax - it's horrible.
    Anonymous

• I'm very tempted to start trying this myself....I use eco friendly laundry detergent now, but it's so pricey. I'd love a recipe and instructions sent to me.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2010