How do you handle unwelcomed drop in company???

When my DD was born, my dad & his wife started "just dropping by." I am not a fan of this. Especially with tem, as even when they are invited they tend to overstay their welcome. DH & I may be tired, or hoping for a moment alone if the baby is napping, or what if we're in the midst of an arguement?
Anyway, after the first few times, I told my dad not to do this (spiced w/ some post partum hormone ) & he has pretty much called first since. But his wife (who I know also knows how I feel) continues to do it. I've been polite & let her in... But last night I was alone w/ DD & had only defrosted a small amount of steak for dinner and she "stops by" right at 6 & stayed till after 8 pm! I didn't want to invite her to eat so we ended up not eating till almost 9. If I say something the next time she drops in, I'm sure she will take offence, but what else can I do? keep the doors & blinds drawn & hide if she pulls up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'd tell her you only have a few minutes because you have to start dinner. Or don't answer the door. Tell her later you were bathing the baby and evening gets really busy.
    Anonymous

• Let her be offended. She's rude. This is simple, "We have a schedule for the baby and can't have company tonight. Please call next time. We want to spend time with you, but our family needs to keep to our schedule."

It's not up for negotiation. Don't let this woman run all over you. Your home, your baby, your rules.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I would just say, "I am sorry I was just....fill in the blank... and I don't have time for company. I am glad you stopped by, nxt time be sure to call first so you don't make the trip for nothing."
    Or I would keep a note on the door that says, "No Company Now Please, We are busy and don't have time to visit.".
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I agree with the first poster just don't answer the door. Later on tell them you were napping, bathing or just not in the mood for company and next time if they call they will not have wasted a trip.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Lock the doors and hide!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2010