Credit card question

I applied for a credit card at Gap, TJ Maxx and Babies r us to get the promotional 15% off on the first purchase. I payed the bills for all three right away as I got them. When the cards came in through the mail I did not activate any of the three because I don't plan to shop often at these stores, they have high APRs and I have two other cards that I use on a regular basis for all purchases that have low APR and great rewards. So my question is: If I never called to activate the 3 cards, are they going to show up on my credit history? I don't want that, because it will lower my FICO score. All I wanted was the 15% off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• it is never worth it to open the cards for 15% off. You should probably activate all three cards and use each of them once every six months and pay them off immediately (even if it is a $5.00 purchase). This is the only way I know of to not harm your credit score with opening a credit card. Check out Clark Howard (clarkhoward.com??) for more credit card advice.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Because you really did activate it when you signed the credit application. If you  used the account of not an account has been opened in your name. You might want to close them before they charge you an annual fee. Many cards started doing this since the new credit rules went into effect.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Yes it will show up on your credit report because you applied for them. That's how they get you...apply for this card and we'll give you x amount off of your purchase. You applied for it which means they checked your credit, which means you lost points for inquiries. For each inquiry you lose 3 to 4 points.

Lesson learned I'm sure! This could spiral downward in a hurry. See if the card has an annual fee or any other fee that may be assessed...even though you have not activated it the cc co. can still charge those fees.

Your best bet would be to close those accounts if you do not plan on using them, you might take a hit on your credit for closing them but it will be significantly less that using them and becoming deeper in debt!

DFSNIKKI

Answer by DFSNIKKI at 11:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2010