How do you deal with unwanted "drop in" company?

When my DD was born, my dad & his wife started "just dropping by." I am not a fan of this. Especially with tem, as even when they are invited they tend to overstay their welcome. DH & I may be tired, or hoping for a moment alone if the baby is napping, or what if we're in the midst of an arguement?
Anyway, after the first few times, I told my dad not to do this (spiced w/ some post partum hormone ) & he has pretty much called first since. But his wife (who I know also knows how I feel) continues to do it. I've been polite & let her in... But last night I was alone w/ DD & had only defrosted a small amount of steak for dinner and she "stops by" right at 6 & stayed till after 8 pm! I didn't want to invite her to eat so we ended up not eating till almost 9. If I say something the next time she drops in, I'm sure she will take offence, but what else can I do? keep the doors & blinds drawn & hide if she pulls up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't answer the door when I'm not expecting some one. If they come in my house uninvited then I can't be held responible for my actions lol.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• When my MIL would drop by I would always just be on my way out, or getting ready to eat dinner, sorry I only defrosted enough for myself do you mind coming by tomorrow? Or just answer the door and only open it enough to talk stand in the doorway and don't let her in.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Tell her how much you appreciate her visits but that it would really help you out if she'd call first to make sure you aren't busy or worn out.
    Anonymous

• I just simply tell people that as much as I would enjoy their company I would prefer if they call first. I'm tired and busy and may not be up to company when they drop by.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My mom used to do that all the time. Moreso, she would show up and drop her bad a** kids off on me. Heck she'd even pull off before i could open my door and my bro and sis would just be out there waiting.
    I told her that one day she's gonna do that and all hell is gonna break loose. She figured if she saw my car then I must be home.
    The last time she tried that was 2 years ago. Yes, I was home. Yes, my car was outside. But as soon as I heard her knocking, I put the boys in the back room to sheild all thier rackket and we sat back there until they left.
    When she called me a few hours later I told her. Yes I was therre but I am no longer opening my door without advance warning and I must first tell you that its OKAY to come.

That learned her!! LOL "Learned" LMAO
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• i don't answer the door when people show up unannounced.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• (OP)
    And I should add that if they call, but I don't answer, that doesn't count as having called first, right? I mean, if you don't say, "yeah, sure, come on over" then it's the same difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2010