breastfeeding at 6 weeks

About how often should my 6 week old be feeding? She eats at least every 2 hours, but sometimes will scream and cry until she gets my nipple into her mouth- only to fall asleep within 30 seconds.
Any advice to get her to soothe herself in ways other than my nips? (she doesn't like pacifires...)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well honestly breastfeeding is not just about feeding for babies. Its about comfort and bonding as well, When babies pacify at the breast is actually helps keep your milk supply up. Also, nursing will always vary, especially during growth spurts... so she may not just be nursing for comfort, but she may also be going through a growth spurt. For me, especially with newborns, I found that breastfeeding on demand helped keep my baby happy and helped keep my sanity as well because baby was happy and the more I bf the more bonding time we got. It also helped me get to know my baby by following his cues. So my suggestion at this stage is to offer the breast BEFORE the crying starts, but look for the cues. Also, wearing your baby (in a sling, wrap etc.) may also give your baby the physical touch they need at this age. Also will help you do things you need to get done with your hands free :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• My son is doing this same thing. If I'm sure he's had plenty to eat, I just hold him in the nursing position (shirt down)and rock him to sleep. He doesn't take and I don't want him to have, a pacifier so that is what I am doing now. I have also just laid him in his crib and leave the room. Most of the time he will fall asleep after a few seconds. If not, I pick him up and rock him. Try that and see if it helps you! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• i remwember those days. after awhile i finally just let her cry cause she wouldn't take the paci and still doesn't and my nips were getting raw. she seemed to learn quickly how to soothe herself. my husband however would rock her to sleep.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• You can have skin to skin contact, rock, use a sling or carrier, sing, play music, dance, gently bounce on a little trampoline (the only thing that would make one of my babies happy), have white noise in the room. You might check Dr. Sears website. This is a topic he speaks on and writes a lot about. There is probably stuff under the topic of fussy baby that can help you calm your baby without nursing.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• heck my son is 5 months old and still eats every 2 hours. breast milk gets digested very fast, they have to eat more often than formula feed babies.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 2:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I agree that breastfeeding is not just about "feeding". Bottle feeding is a feeding method, breastfeeding is a relationship. You are doing the right thing by letting baby have the breast whenever she needs it. Use the fact that 30 seconds of your breast in her mouth puts her to sleep to your advantage! Isn't it great to be able to comfort her and get her to sleep so quickly and easily??
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• The good news...your baby is normal. She WILL eventually stretch out feedings. Six weeks is another growth spurt.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2010