Agression in unspayed famale dogs?

We have 2 dogs, both female, one spayed, one not spayed. We got the spayed dog (2 years old) just this last September, and have had the other since she was a pup 4 years ago. They have never faught before, and today they got into it to the point it took 3 of us to pll them off of each other. I am being told that it may be because our older dog is going into heat, and that is why she got all upset...I thought only male dogs were like that? We have them seperated for now, my step mom took one of them, but I am hoping to get the one fixed this week, and then try and reintroduce them. Is it likely to help by fixing her though, or do I just need to find her a permenant home. For what it's worth. As we were breaking them up, neither tried to attack us, and they had every opportunity to. They just were trying to get at each other, so Im not worried about our safety. What about obedience training, would it be worth it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Pets

• it most certainly can be due to that and thats most likely the reason why. our unspayed female doesn't attack but she certainly does things to dominate the others. one of your females will always be more dominate then the other but the aggression won't be there as much.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Unspayed females can get nasty with each other and spaying her should help, it definitely can't hurt. And obedience training is always a good thing too. Obedience training can help better establish your position in the household and may lesson their fights too.

After you get her fixed it can take months for the hormones to completely leave her system so if there is another fight or two in the next 6 months or so that doesn't necessarily mean that the spaying didn't help.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Fixing her might help but if she is a domanant dog it will not stop that behavior. When they go into the fight was there a bone or toy on the ground that they were possibly fighting over? If this was the case then one or both of them was being possessive of that object which is not uncommon. If that was the case I would pick up every thing and only allow them to have them when they are seperated. I would suggest that you hire a behaviorist to help you with this. If you end up needing to rehome a dog it should be the dog that has not lived in your home as long.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Female dogs fight WAY WAY worse than male dogs. Getting her spayed will make her feel much better. They still may bicker, but training can help. Try to catch them when the pestering starts, before they are fighting. And discourage rough play. It can lead to fights.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It wasn't over a toy, but me and my kids were in the backyard, and I said Okay lets go inside now, they both ran to the back door, and my older dog attacked my younger one when she got there first. Not 5 minutes before they were all lovey with eathother and playing together, not play fighting but playing with me tails wagging and what not. He apointment to get fixed is next Wednesday, and I am waiting on a call back from the obedience trainer! Thanks everyone for replying!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• First off you need to spay your other female dog. They do PMS like us women do. They will get AGGRESSIVE. When females are not spayed they tend to get very moody and cause fights for no reason. I worked with a animal behaviorist 3 yrs ago.
    Anonymous