"Stranger Danger"

My kids are 4(girl) and 5(boy) and we just today had a weird-vibe experience with a creepy old guy @ the mall...commenting on how pretty my daughter was, what her age and name was. "Oh, that's a pretty name." he said. My daughter is very outgoing and friendly. I am, for the most part, a SAHM. I do work, but it's maybe 1-4 times a month. So, I'm with my kids 99% of the time. I'm just wondering how to teach them the dangers of being THAT outgoing. And it's not even just strangers anymore. I don't want to be that paranoid, overprotective mother, but I also don't want anything happening to my children. Any advice ladies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• You're a great mom! Keep up with teaching them. Knowledge is power. Many think things like this won't happen to them, but it can. So make sure to teach them this. My son knows not to talk to strangers if I am not there. If I am there he knows he can say hello. Make sure to define this.

http://drphil.com/articles/article/265

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• Take them around to show them employees of stores, ask them who they think it might be safe to talk to explain that if they feel uncomfortable with someone thats ok to let you know and they dont have to talk to them. have them ask random people (of course while youare there) random ?? Like what time is it? Where is the bathroom? it helps them "feel" people out get to know good and bad vibes.
    junebug83

Answer by junebug83 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZHH64Wp2YI

THIS is a MUST watch... :D Shows what to do when and if someone tries to abduct you. It's really good.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• THIS is what is in my local paper: This poor soul is the same age as my daughter....I shed tears just reading it.

A 70-year-old Missoula man accused of having sex with a 4-year-old girl under his supervision has been arrested.

Albert Elmer Gaub was taken into custody Tuesday on a charge of felony rape and is being held at the Missoula County jail on $250,000 bail. If convicted, he faces between four and 100 years in prison.

Authorities say Gaub had sexual contact with the girl on numerous occasions between Oct. 1, 2008, and April 2 of this year, and the contact included intercourse. He and his wife operated the Cuddles and More child care business out of their Missoula home.

According to court records, the girl told her parents about the alleged abuse last week. Investigators say Gaub has acknowledged having sexual contact with the girl.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 11:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I have taught my boys how to tell who are the employees of whatever store we might be in. We have also talked about how they are never allowed to leave any place with any strangers ever! We also role play different stranger situations. Like they will pretend they are at the park and i am the stranger. i walk up and ask them if they will help me find my dog and i will give them candy. They then have to think about what they would do. etc.
    for my kids, the role playing really sticks to them i think.
    we've also talked about how it's never okay for anyone to touch their parts. even trust family members. And how if anyone does touch their parts they need to tell them not to and tell me what's going on right away no matter what the dirty person says.
    i've also told them to scream and yell and kick and fight if someone every tries to take them away.

...we talk about it kind of a lot because DS1 is extremely social.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I want to add....I told my son to pull down shelves and clothes in stores if someone grabbed him. And yell "this is not my mom". And I never said stranger, because, you never know. Most of what OutstandingLove said.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I have always told my 4 kids that if a stranger ever wants you to come near them for any reason they have to say, I have to ask my mom first....then run and tell me ASAP about the situation. We have also gone over what to do if they ever do get kidnapped. That if the kicking and screaming does not work and they find themselves in an abductors house...phone 911 when the abductor is asleep or gone, never when they are around. Always make sure they know their phone number names of family members, address.
    My 5 yr old got lost at the grocery store last week and it happened in a flash! I was turning down an aisle and looked behind me to make sure he was following and he was gone, just like that...I freaked out and suddenly a voice came over the intercom saying they have a lost boy. I went to customer service so fast I ran over a lady's foot.I said "sorry" she smiled and said"you have the lost boy?"..glad she understood!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• con't.
    I'm happy he is safe and i guess he left me to look at a movie rack...now I'm thinking stores should get rid of distractions so kids stay with their parents
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• We do Stranger Danger "Runs" here with my kids. They carry a whiste outside. They know they're address and they know the home telephone #. What the Stranger Danger "Runs" Consist Of:
    I take them to the park and we go over manuvers for getting away from an attacker. Kicks, punches and so forth. We go over how loud to yell and WHAT to yell. I also test them. Not every time but Every now and then to be sure they are getting it. I use a friend, someone they know but the friend will usually dress up differently and change thier voice a bit. They approach my kids after we've been at the park awhile. I let them play on the swings and slide and so on and i sit WAAAAY back near the car. I watch as my friend approaches them. What happens is they yell for each other. They get together in a group. Tell the "stranger" to go away. They link hands, blow thier whistles and run in the direction I am in. CONTD
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 1:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I know there are some places that teach this for free.. Try looking up if there is anything like that in your area.

Good luck mom
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 1:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2010