Holy crapoly. What a self-centered B****.

A question for mothers of grown children: Don't you want to see your child do well in life? Isn't that the biggest and BEST part of being a parent? My MIL is on a rampage b/c my DH and I are buying a house. She told my DH tonight that he is acting like he is "better" than everyone (meaning her and his sister) b/c we are excited about our first home purchase. We aren't even buying a NICE house - it is a serious fixer and isn't huge or anything, just a nice 3 bd family home. We showed her some pics of it, but we've been pretty careful not to rub it in her face, since she lives in a not-so-nice home. But we are EXCITED. There's nothing wrong with being excited, is there? She told him, "You come from humble beginnings - you should carry that with you,". To me that reads, "I'm poor and unhappy, so you should be, too,". WTH? She's making us feel BAD for having worked hard to buy our first home! Would YOU do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Tell her if it makes her feel that badly she doesn't have to come over!
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• um how rude. If it wqas my child i would be ssoooooo proud of her. ESPECIALLY is we came from humble beginnings.My aunt is really well off now and she grew up pretty poor and we are proud of her NOT jealous
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2010

• What a GREAT accomplishment!!!!

Some people are downers, they look so much into others lives that they fail to fix their own. She too can have what you have, if she puts the work into it. It's not unachievable!

You WORKED hard for what you have, you have every right to be excited, to call everyone, to tell everyone, to show and take as many pictures as your hearts desire! Well done.

If others don't like it, let them wallow in their own pity. Don't change yourself to make them feel better. You don't have to say anything to her...

However if you want to, I would say this: I'm sorry you feel that we're acting like we're better than everyone else, that is not our intention. We are very proud of what we've accomplished, and I hoped you would be too.

If she fails to see the logic in that, then arguing any point with her is "moot" point and you should leave her be in her jealous ways.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I double dare you to look at her face and tell her " im sorry we are happy and this doesnt excite you,thought as a mom you would be happy to see your children succeed but i guess it doesnt" shes jelous and you know it! dont even tell her your moving in day give her no info,shoot dont even talk about it anymore. she'll ask eventually then you can say what i double dared you to do.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Jealousy is such a useless and hurtful emotion. We want our children to have more than what we did at their age. I am sorry she is not happy for you. Maybe she will come around after a while. Congrats on the new home.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2010