am i just being over protecting ?

i had been looking for a daycare for my dd i found one they seem awsome afortable and they hava nanny cam but i seem to be just find so many little things that bother me ( have in mind first daycare experiance ever and my first baby) like they constanly change teachears, the girls in the afternoon seem to not try hard to include all the kids in the activities and they dont seem to be very responsive to the kids wishes/ demands for example my dd was asking for her blanket and the girl seem to just ignor her offcourse the cam's dont have audio so she could have been saying no to her cause nap time was over but i just dint seem it and when they play in the class room or playground all the kids seem to be doing their own thing i guess it just doesnt feel like they are interacting much, i dunno if its just how it is and i had big expectations of all the kids coloring and playing together am i just being picky?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Constantly changing teachers is the worst thing that you mentioned. As for them not pressuring the kids to do the activities in the afternoon -- morning is when children learn. Morning is for the main activities and the TEACHERS, while afternoon are usually part-time college girls who are just babysitting for the most part. If your child did nothing but school-like activities while she's there she would be burnt out on it in no time. Keep in mind that a young child's attention span is related to their age -- 1yr olds have a 1 MINUTE attention span. Activities in daycare will center around that and be quick and fun.

Furthermore, children don't start interactive play until the age of 3-4. At the ages of 1-2, they solitary and parallel play, meaning that they either play alone or play next to each other or around each other but not WITH each other. It's perfectly normal and developmental.
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I would ask them about it. It could be that it's not so much that they aren't trying to include them. Maybe it's more a matter of the morning is for group activities, and the afternoon is for free play. Kids that age do play with each other, but, at the same time, they can sort of get sick of each other, too, so they need some time and space to play by themselves. Maybe that's whats going on.

But, I would ask about it in a calm way. Just ask them if there's some sort of schedule of activities they follow as far as structured and unstructured play time, and see :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• its daycare what did you expect? if you want full attention on your princess find a person you can trust to watch her,you will feel much better.BTW you are being what i called "caring" and theres nothing wrong with that.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• have you considered interviewing people to watch your child in your home, or in theirs? i am sure there are a few sahm that would not mind a little extra money, and one more child.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I agree that changing teachers in concerning. High turn over means that the staff is not being treated well, they're not being paid well, and they may not be certified or working towards certification. My favorite daycare that I interviewed had no turn over for 5 years, 100% med and first aid certified, and every employee was either working towards a degree in ECE or had already obtained it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I agree with ddmac. The only thing that seems like an issue is the turn over of the teachers. I also wouldn't put too much stock in the nanny cam. I looked at a daycare with one and wasn't all that impressed with it. They used the nanny cam as a gimmick to get kids in. After touring over a dozen day cares it was pretty obvious to me which ones had a caring atmosphere and which didn't. Spending time at the day care and talking to people who have kids who attend will give you a much clearer picture than the nanny cam will.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• As a early childhood teacher, I have to say i do see this a lot but this is probably what is happening, the teachers (actually ones with a degree) probably get there earlier in the day (6-8am), and leave around 3-5pm. At around 3pm the "floaters" meaning part time, MOST of the time these are HS girls (they tend to have a VERY high turnover rate). After 2-3pm (naptime) all the structure kinda goes and it turns into free play (which the kids need) BECAUSE some children leave right after naptime (especially if they have been their since 6am). Normally (depending on the age, of course very young babies are on their own schedule), it's stuff like art, music, water or sand play, then they have lunch, then nap, (after nap) then snack and then outside play (or inside play if it's too cold/hot/raining etc). (imho) A GOOD daycare will have VERY little TV but sometimes they do watch a video. Maybe ask about their lesson plans.
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 9:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• If they are ignoring children and have a high turnover rate, it's not a good thing. There is no reason to hire high school girls to work around very young children. I'd have a talk with them. You're paying them to take care of your child. If they know they are on a nanny cam and still ignore some of the children, that seems like a problem. Don't listen to any of the criticism. More than one of the answers you got on here were insensitive and I doubt they would say the same thing if it was about their child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It's a daycare, what do you expect? It's an institution, they're not going to give your child the attention like you would, bottom line.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I agree with busyloving him, if you want your child to have one on one attention, a daycare is not the place to go. Trust me I used to work at several. You pay for what you get, so if it is a cheap daycare, expect your child to get cheap care. The more you pay, the better care your child will get.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2010