Have you ever bought a pet and had it die within two days?

I bought a bird on Monday and just found it dead on the bottom of the cage. We hadn't even fully decided on a name yet. What did I do wrong?

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 12:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Most pet stores have a return policy on animals (I work at Petco and ours is 15 days). If the bird was scruffy he could have been sick or stressed. Birds have weak respritory systoms and do stress easily and if it was a small bird (parakeet finch canary) it could have gotten stressed from being caught. But yeah call the store and ask them their return policy and you should be able to return or exchange it.
    Kelly0928

Answer by Kelly0928 at 3:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Oh that is so sad. I doubt you did anything wrong. Even if you starved the bird for 2 days it would still be alive. Are you sure there wasn't something wrong with it when you bought it? Maybe the poor thing was sick?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I don't know if it was sick. It LOOKED healthy but I don't know much about birds. The pet store told me it was normal for him to be all scruffy.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• hmm i bought goldfish from walmart and they lasted 5 days(a record)

can u take it back? sorry that happened.
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I'd go back to the pet store. I don't know, how much you paid for the bird and all the supplies. BUT I'd at least go back and ask... Sorry, to hear about your loss. We recently had to put down our cat. The kids first loss of pet. It's always sad to lose a pet.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE

Not to be unsympathetic, I just couldn't resist! I do think if it died that soon it was probably sick already when you got it. That's happened to me with fish before.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• WE bought a birdie (years ago, thank goodness the boys dont remember).... No matter what anyone says I KNOW that bird offed himself. When we got him from petsmart he was in his little box thumping around and screeching. We get him home and he pecked me so hard he pulled up some flesh. He would attack my boys through the cage. Like if they got close to the cage he would run and slam into it. PSYCHO BIRDIE!
    Anyway that night I put water in his cage. I little tiny bowl thing ang he covers himself feathers and all with every drop. I called the store and they said to dry him off, he'll get sick and die. So I did. but everytime I put water in there he'd do it again. 3 days later I find him hard a rock on the bottom of the cage. Why didnt he LOVE us? LMAO
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 1:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Where was the cage kept? If it was kept near/in the kitchen, certain cooking utensils (pots/pans) when heated give off chemicals that are toxic to birds. If the bird was all scruffy when you bought it, it could have already been sick though. I know that if you bought the bird from Petsmart/Petco, they do have a return policy (as the last poster stated).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I did buy him at Petco so maybe they will take him back.Thank you.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2010