Pregnant again after a c section.

I had a c section in december 2009 (4 months ago ) & I am currently 5 weeks pregnant what is the likley hood of having to have another. ?

Nicole_Anne

Asked by Nicole_Anne at 12:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It depends.

Did you have a bikini cut? Both of the outside and inside?

Do you have a doctor that is supportive of VBACs?

Why did you have your last c-section?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I had a cut straight along my bikini line..

Um most have said that even if i go into labour my chances are high of having another c scetion..& i just wanted to no has this happened to anyone else like have they been able to go ahead and have a natural birth....

My daughter was frank breech... she just wouldnt budge.
    Nicole_Anne

Answer by Nicole_Anne at 12:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• You have a less than 1% risk of your uterus rupturing which is what they are concerned about with VBAC.

Why did they tell you your chances are really high?

Honestly a lot of it depends on your doctor and your willingness to stand up for your rights.

Also just for future reference you don't have to have a c-section for most breech presentation babies. You just need a skilled midwife. All midwives are trained to deliver breech babies and do so safely everyday. It can be hard to find an OBGYN who knows how to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• you are about to find yourself under enormous pressure from the medical world to have another planned C-sec. Years ago they used to say once a Csec always a Csec, but that is not neceassry. If baby is in a good position, there is no reason to no deliver vaginally, other than for the dr's convenience -they'd rather have you on the table at 9am, and on the golf course by noon, than be called for an emergancy C-sec or long late night delivery. Don't be surprised by scary stories, inflated statistics and pompous doctors. My advice would be to spend alot of time getting educated http://www.vbac.com/ is a really good starting point, with heaps of info, support and advice. If you want a Vaginal delivery you are going to have to stand up for yourself and being knowledgable about it helps them realise you aren't a twit who doesn't know what she is talking about.
    Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• When I asked my OB said that usually it depended on the reason for the csection in the first place and how likely that situation was to present itself again. If it was due to breech, mine would let you try for a VBAC but you'll have to talk to your OB.

Answer by missanc at 8:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I was told your c-section needs to heal for at least 18 months between births or the risk of uterine rupture is higher. Now, I have heard of a successful VBAC before then too, one is a friend with kids only a year apart - so about where you're at. I guess it depends, you definitely want to go into labor on your own. The use of drugs to induce increases the risk 15 times. Just do research, and talk to your doctor - he'll tell you whether you can or can't. Good luck! I'm going for a VBAC too! :)
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 10:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Breech is not a repeating condition (most of the time) That is not a reason to schedule another c-section. If your current doctor says that you Need another c-section just because of the timing, find another doctor. Other questions you want to ask a new doctor are: does he induce VBAC's? if he says yes, cross him off the list. That is way dangerous. Overall likelihood of a succesful VBAC are around 80%. Your personal success is all dependant on the details. You have a lot of research ahead of you. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• The primary factor in what determines your success rate is your care provider. Isn't that sad? Do your research and find a provider who is supportive. You should consider a homebirth with a midwife who is experienced with vbacs. It is as much as if not more of an emotional journey then a physical one. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Home Births arnt very common in australia...& She was in a breech position where she wasnt able to be deliverd saftely hench the c section...I have been told of the consiquences of vbac & also the likley hood of going over due and having to be iduced they said if i have to be indiuced that raises my risks of ending up on the table again...My chances are higer tohave another because i am slightly overweight & due to there being minimul time for recovery as my daughter is only young and my body is making another baby...I No i have alot of thought and research behind me i just dont want to go into labour and go throug all that hard work just to be rushed off for a c section ....ehhhhh tough decisions...thank you all for your help and advice i will take it all into account....
    Nicole_Anne

Answer by Nicole_Anne at 10:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2010