What is with it with people making my kid's party about them?

I've just started planning my DD's 2nd birthday party, and it seems like no-one in my or my husband's family want to do it together. My DH's dad and stepmom are having their own thing for her since they'll be on a trip the time of her party, but my father also said that he doesn't like being around alot of people that aren't his family and wants to have his own party for her WTF? I made it clear though that that would be stupid to do. Also my DH's mom wants to throw a big party at her house as my DD and her cuz's birthday are two days apart, so it would basically be like 4 families at one little house with nowhere to park.. Last year my DH's brother and SIL almost didn't go to her party because we dared plan her BDay before their son's and they planed his for the same day. Does any1 else have this much trouble planing Bday parties? Would it be too btchy to just say I don't care what you want be here at this time and that's it

brittneywho88

Asked by brittneywho88 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No it's your child and you make the plans. If they can't be there then they can't be there...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• OH GOD! I know EXACTLY how you feel!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• You should be glad that you have family that want to celebrate her birthday at all, or can. I live in another country.. and my DH said he just wants us at her party, no friends.. and no family can come. life is lonely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• well honestly she is 2. set your foot down. it doesnt matter to HER she is 2. 2? LOL
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• do what you want? i split it up myself this year because most of my family live in another state. so we had a party at my grandma's with her cousin's. then here we went out to dinner for her birthday and then at her daycare i took cupcakes. so you know what do what you want. its about the child not about the adults.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Not bitchy at all, she is YOUR child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Been there, done that, that's why we don't even bother inviting DH's family to the kids' birthday parties anymore. We have a party with a few of their friends, and we ask my MIL and FIL to come if they want. They sometimes come for a little while to give their gift, or they might come on their actual birthday to give them their gift. I don't like being around DH's family anyway, except for his parents, so we just do what the kids want for their birthday and to heck with everyone else. My family lives 10 hours away so there isn't an issue at all there. You have a party for YOUR child and don't worry about everyone else.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Oh yeah, been there! Families can be a pain in the ass sometimes. NO family showed up this year at DD's party. The skating rink was "too far". I really hate throwing kid parties, to be honest...i totally lack the organizational skills necessary to throw a cool party. This last year when DD turned 8, i decided that is going to be the last one. I was hurt no family showed up, & I'm sure DD was too. Next year, I'm just going to get DD & her best friend & take them skiing or do something cool like that. I REFUSE to stress myself out over throwing another b-day party.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I know exactly what you are going through. I used to try to accommodate everybody but finally realized how much stress it was putting on me and my sons never seemed to be having a good time. A few years ago my DH and I finally said SCREW IT! We are planning birthday parties for when we want them and if you attend YEAH!!! if not then oh well. So far the only person who doesn't show up is my MIL. She thinks I should plan around her schedule and refuses to attend the birthday parties. The way I look at it is that it's her lose.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I know how you feel! Sometimes you need to just say the party is this day at this time. And who comes, comes. You can't plan around everyone. You can only control what is going on with you so try not to worry about the others and do what fits your schedule. Hope this helps.
    momofzachjassop

Answer by momofzachjassop at 8:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2010