*Spinoff* The question about getting BM for your baby from a milk bank...

Tons were against it. So, my question is: Are you also against blood donation and transfusions? Many responses said "I won't give my baby other peoples bodily fluids." How are the two different? What about organ transplants? And, you would rather feed cow milk instead of human milk?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son was 4 weeks old I got pneumonia and septicemia. The first 12 hours I had a fever of 104 and was very sick. We didn't want to do anything to risk breastfeeding with my son so one of my friends took him to another friend and she nursed him. After my temp came down, I got to have him in my room and nurse until 9 or 10 at night and then he would go to my friend to nurse. I was going to have to be on IV antibiotics for 3 weeks so they let me go home after a few days and I had the IV antibiotics at home.

I was so lucky I had a friend with a young baby that was willing to nurse my baby. He ended up needing no bottles. So not only would I feed my baby another mother's milk I would let another mother feed my baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I am a blood donator. If I was against my children getting blood transfusions (or organ donations) that would be pretty sad. :D No seriously, I was a medic years ago, I saw how these things save lives. I would never deny such a gift to one of my children. I think its also very cool that you were mature enough to let your child nurse from someone else (to the person above).
    cz4kids

Answer by cz4kids at 7:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Blood is screened. Every donation is screened when it is taken before they give it to anyone. That website the other question was about not only doesn't screen the milk, they don't even really screen the mother - all they need is a note from the doctor saying they tested negative for STD's and it "should be as recent as possible" but there is no guideline on how recent or a requirement for follow up testing for repeat donations. That website is the equivalent of letting any drug addict who walks in off the street say, "I promise I'm disease free" and taking their word for it and transfusing the blood straight into your child.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I am referring to those that refuse completely...even if they screened like a blood bank. So, if they did, would you consider it then?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Why would people be against it? Blood is screened more than you can imagine! Back in the 80s it wasn't a great system but with the technology we have today its a life saver! If my son god forbid ever needed a blood transfusion I would not be worried about how safe the blood he was getting.
    DJsmom0725

Answer by DJsmom0725 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• BioCleanse washed away the rot. It was the giant washing machine at the end of the conveyor belt that allowed people to be recycled—the dead to return to life, and the living to depend on the dead. “When implanting biologics,” CEO Brian Hutchison wrote in an open letter on safety, “ultimately, the level of risk any patient faces depends on the method of processing.” RTI is the only processor in operation that can claim to “eliminate the risk,” he wrote. And Mastromarino was not oblivious to this. If he had worked fast and loose, it was perhaps for the same reason that RTI and the FDA didn’t notice. There was a need for tissue, and as Gallucci says, “He knows that the tissue those people have will never lead to them getting disease.”
    The case has yet to go to trial, but so far there have been no confirmed instances of infection from tissue harvested by Mastromarino’s company.
    NO ONE HAS GOTTEN SICK
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Wow...thanks you Miss Immaculate and Pristine Perfect Person that Ever Lived. I hope your kids don't run off once they are of age. I am proving a point and never critisized anyone, yet, you baltantly attacked my son and me. I hope karma doesn't come back to bite you in the a$$.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2010