If CPS took away your baby...can they take the next baby when it's born?

My friend had her first baby at 15. She was admittingly not a good mother. She neglected her baby, didn't give her bathes on a regular basis, smoked drugs in front of her, put alcohol in her bottle to make her sleep, etc.

Needless to say CPS took the baby away when she was 8 weeks old. It's her biggest regret in life. CPS taking her baby made her clean up.

Fast forward 11 years. She's got a college degree, a great job, is married to a man who also has a college degree and a great job, they own their own home, and are really involved in their church.

They are wanting to TTC but are afraid CPS will find out and take their baby because of her past.

Would they really do this? And how would they find out? Does the hospital have to notify CPS? Would she be on some sort of list or something?

I mean I know she did some horrible things but she was a child.

Can she have more children and keep them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly , unless she was reported, CPS probably wouldnt know she had another one. I got custody of my niece, and CPS was involved, and the "Egg donor" has gone on to have two more children. CPS hasnt taken them, although they should, and once I get her address....welll...anyways, no they will not unless they have reasonable cause. She is also alot older and in a different place in life...11 years later.. if it were 11months later-maybe, but not 11 years.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• If she couldn't get custody of her 1st child back then she has no buisness having another and I hope they don't let her keep it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No they won't take the baby. Every state has different laws, but here it's if you have your rights terminated in the last 3 years it would be automatic termination. After that, they don't care.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• She didn't try to get her first back anon. She was 15. Get a life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I am really getting sick of hurtful anons. ur friend should be able to keep it. just looking at her situation through $$ credit etc and education they should be able to tell that the girl has changed. after 11 years she has got to be okay to have another one. if it's within a few years she might be watched but oh wow 11 years- no one is gunna care. she was a freaky kid. personally i would hope she was watched. doing drugs and giving a baby alcohol to make it sleep anytime should be a flag. a flag that shouldn't come off for like 10 years. lol she should be fine people change.
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I would think 11 years later they probably wont even know unless someone reports her for wrong doing. Otherwise even if a question came up they will look at her life now and see that she isnt the same person. I do know someone (a man) who lost his children then remarried and his new wife became pregnant that same year, the state did make noises about taking the baby at birth because of the father but the wife was able to show that she herself had no tainted history and that her husband had cleaned up his act, the state never bothered them again from what I know. That was a little over 9 years ago and I know she still has her child and they had another one a few years later of course they are divorced now lol and she has custody.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Nah. My husband has his children taken from him several years back, but we have a child and CPS has seen us several times. We still have our daughter. But it helps that we live in a different state.
    hiddenstrength

Answer by hiddenstrength at 5:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• i doubt at this point she is on any LIST for CPS. but it is possible to be honest. she flat out didnt just NEGLECT her first baby, she abused and risked the babies life. so it is quite possible she is still on a watch list. though if she got married etc with a name change and what not she might slip through the cracks. her best bet? she should contact CPS about it. findout the status she has in thier system and what she needs to do to satisfy THEM.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:31 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• She would be fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• We all make mistake's i know someone who lost her child at a young age and had two more children she learned from her mistake's so you can't judge a mother for making a mistake with her first child unless she continues to do the same thing's or worse over and over again
    vickie86

Answer by vickie86 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010