Cant get shoes on my 8 month old son

I have a hard time putting shoes on my 8 month old son. He curls his little toes and it makes it difficult to put them on. Well he loves to stand and is learning how to move his legs well i walk with him. He is not crawling yet, he tries to make the attempt but just falls back on his stomach. However i think he will learn how to walk before he crawls and i want him to get use to shoes. How do i get my son to not curl his toes so i can put his shoes on. And is there a certain type of shoe he should be wearing or that is good for support.

ilybaby8609

Asked by ilybaby8609 at 3:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's better for his feet if he doesn't wear shoes.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• But dont the shoes help give suppport
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 3:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• at this age shoes really serve no purpose other than looking cute, It really is better if they dont wear shoes when first learning to walk. Shoes can easily trip them up when they are first getting used to the idea of walking and it is natural for them to curl their toes while learning balance.

This link explains it much better than I could http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that-babies-need-to-wear-shoes-sometimes-so-their_10310192.bc
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I think my son was almost 18 mos before he was ever in shoes, and that was more to protect his feet from the hot sidewalk then anything. I had so many people tell me I was going to ruin his feet. I wish I had the addresses of those people, cuz he's 25 and not a dang thing wrong with that guys feet at all. Except for he inherited his dad's smelly foot problems. lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Shoes won't help a baby learn to walk and supportive shoes can actually hinder developing mobility. However, shoes do protect the feet from splinters and other sharp objects. Look for shoes that are lightweight and flexible. As for the curling toes , distracting the baby before you put the shoes on and then kind of sneaking them on might help. But don't worry, babies don't curl up their toes forever, it just takes them a little while to get used to having their feet confined.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My MIL told me he needs to start wearing shoes cause he has to get use to them or else he wont like to wear shoes when he gets older. And both my MIL and my grandma said he needs to wear shoes to help support his fit and that i need some high top like shoes to help support his ankles.
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 3:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Okay two key points here...you MIL and Grandma....Medical science and what we know about development have changed since they were new moms. If I listened to the things my grandmother told me I would have been drinking beer while breastfeeding to keep up my milk production KWIM?

Many of those babies that were raised by the MIL and grandma generation have weak ankles and other foot problems because they were put in thick chunky shoes instead of being allowed to develop their walking skills the way nature intended.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:06 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• @3 ring circus. . . ya, i had a friend tell me to drink a beer that it helps produce more breastmilk. idk what they are thinking. LOL!
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 4:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I agree with 3 ring circus. Science and research have advanced quite a bit since our moms and grandmas were having babies.

But I do believe that lightweight flexible shoes are necessary for wearing outside to keep the feet from getting hurt or cold (or too hot). Too much support and those ankle muscles won't have a chance to get strong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• My mom said that when I was a baby in the 70's, her mom and grandma told her to rub whiskey on a teething baby's gums, the more , the better. And we didn't use car seats either. I remember my mom breastfeeding my brother while she was driving. When my brother was a little older, the old wives tale was that if you put jell-o with water in a bottle for the baby, it would strengthen their bones so my mom did this with my brother and his baby teeth rotted out before he ever got his permanent teeth and has continued to have teeth problems through adulthood. Hmm, now I wonder what it is that we do now that people will look back at and think we were just crazy for doing that to our babies. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2010