Carseat advice

My son is 8 months old and at his last dr appt which was when he was 6 months he weighed 22 pds. Well my son is a little chunkers and boy is he heavy. LOL. He seems to be kind of growing out of his carseat. I guess my question is What are all the laws or rules about the carseats. I need to know the weight and age and what type of carseat is he suppose to be in. All that kind of stuff. Is there a website i can go to.

ilybaby8609

Asked by ilybaby8609 at 4:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He should have been out of his infant car seat at six months, it's up to 22lbs. You can get a larger one that will last up to 100lbs, that's what we did with our DD, she was 22 lbs at 7 months, and we went to get her a new one.
    Pocketmouse

Answer by Pocketmouse at 4:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• is there other carseats that are rear facing. i hear they need to be in a rear facing car seat up to a certain age.
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 4:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Yes, we got a car seat that was up to 100lbs with both a rear and a front facing option. It was really hard to put it rear facing in our honda civic though. I have two weeks left til it gets to be front facing!! :D
    Pocketmouse

Answer by Pocketmouse at 4:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Well i guess its time for a new carseat. Thank You!
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 4:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• All the info you are looking for is posted alongside the displays in most stores. Go shopping now.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• OK, first, he did NOT have to be out of the infant carrier at 22 lbs, depending on the carrier. Some go to 22 lbs, but many more go to 30, and 35 lbs. As long as he's under the weight limit, and has one inch of hard shell above his head, it's safe to use. I would suggest a convertible seat at this point. They rear face and forward face. Many of them allow for rear facing up to 35 lbs, some 40-45 lbs. Legally, your child can face front once they are 12 months old and 20 lbs, but that's just the minimum. Studies show that it's safer to keep your child rear facing as long as possible. About 5X safer. That's a big difference. Join the Car Seat Safety group on here if you'd like more information. What I've told you are the basics, and what you NEED to know before buying a new seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Additionally, a car seat that says up to 100 lbs does NOT harness to 100lbs, unless it is a special needs seat. Generally, those seats harness from 40 to 80 lbs, and then booster to 100 lbs. Read the manual carefully to be sure.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• You want to look for a convertible car seat that both rear faces and forward faces. The current recommendation is to keep baby rear facing until 2 yrs old. You want to look for one with higher weights since you have such a big little guy (that is how my first was!) so that he won't out grow it. One's like the Britax Marathon, sunshine kids radian
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2010