leashes

Would u put a leash on your child

kadmomma

Asked by kadmomma at 4:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Only did it once when I was pregnant and traveling alone with my 2 y/o and had to change planes in large aiports after we were back home the leash went into the donation box and I never used on again. It just wasnt something I felt I needed other than that one time when i had to juggle luggage a carset, stroller the 2 y/o and waddle lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Yes if I had to. But I always had a stroller to put my child in at a young age.

Answer by louise2 at 5:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I did when I felt it was absolutely necessary. Those occasions were very rare, generally when we were in a very public, crowded place, such as a theme park, and only b/c my kids were runners. If I could, I put them in strollers, but they quickly figured out how to unbuckle and slip out of them fast, or carried them, but of course, they got heavy quickly. *Most of the time*, they were good about holding my hands, and the leash was actually more out of fear that someone might be completely oblivious and walk right through where my child and I were holding hands and we could get separated in that very busy place.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No. Leashes are for dogs. I have a kid whose unpredictable and bolts but good old fashioned hand holding worked every time.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Absolutely not. If you can't keep an eye on your child without a leash, what kind of parent are you? I understand about the first poster switching planes in a large airport..but even then, I probably would have had a stroller.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Nope, never felt the need and I'm pregnant with #5 - plus my 12 year old with autism was a "runner" when he was young and I still never had to use a leash.

Answer by missanc at 8:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I don't use one, but I won't judge a mother for using one. I don't know her situation. Like in an airport, pregnant... In the US, TSA and airline workers are notorious for not being helpful at all. They've sat there and watched me as I tried to lug a convertible carseat, full size stroller, a diaper bag and my oversized purse on to the x-ray belt (while 34wks pregnant) all while trying to keep my 22m/o close to me and NOT ONE lifted their finger to help. A child "leash" would have been nice in that situation!
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 8:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I think they are horrible. I would never personally use one.
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 9:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I have used them before. My kids love them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Do your kids love dog food too?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2010