i havent slept a good 6 or 8 hours since monday (41 weeks preg)

is there anything safe at all i can take to knock me out to sleep? i been up since monday with contractions. I woke up at 2am with it and they stopped at 5am same cycle tuesday & wed. Now its thursday and i woke up at 12midnight, took a bath and i been up on and off in the sofa trying to sleep. Im so exhausted. the contractions dont stay regular, my water hasnt broken. im just so sleepy and tired. i cant sleep through these contractions at night or take naps during the day because i wake up with them. I dont have any energy at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• ask your ob mine gave me ambien, and its safe for you and baby!
    wife_mother1790

Answer by wife_mother1790 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• If I have a lot of sugar, I'll go right to sleep. A vanilla malt puts me down flat. That's my midwife's plan if I have a long labor.

A sleep aide of any kind is not going to work while you are in early/ pre labor. Your body is making too many hormones and biochemicals to get the baby in position. A medication is going to be canceled out by those natural chemicals. Relaxation breathing techniques and light touch massage are the safest and most likely to work.

Try to eat nutritious food. You need a ton of calories right now.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Try to nap when you can now and once the baby comes.. Nothing is really gonna make you sleep throught the contractions. OTC meds are not strong enough.. Sorry.. Hang in there mommy :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• OP here- im about to cry lol. this sucks! my midwife has no other options for me. im just so sleepy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It is just preparing you for what your next 2 years are going to be like.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• so sorry OP. my son was born at 41 weeks and i do remember what it was like!!! but then the next few months were soooo much worse. lucky to sleep 4 hours a day, and lucky if 2 of those hours were in a row!!!

good luck :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Anon 12- that was rude okay.. First off i have two kids. i know how my life is with two kids and its not horrible. this is a VBAC home birth!

OP HERE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I had my son at 41 1/2 weeks 2 months ago. I know how hard it is, but I have to disagree with people saying it will get worse, maybe if you have a baby who doesn't sleep. For me after about the first week it got better (I always get insomnia after my babies are born otherwise it probably would have been better from the day he was finally born). So just hang in there and it will probably get better soon.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Oh, and my labor stopped and started like that this time too. It was also my 3rd baby, what you're going through sounds just like me. At least for me when labor finally started for real it was quick and obvious enough that I knew when it was time to go to the hospital. I hope everything goes well for you.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It is just preparing you for what your next 2 years are going to be like

that was rude okay.. First off i have two kids. i know how my life is with two kids and its not horrible. this is a VBAC home birth!

I don't see how it is rude, it is the truth, nowhere did I say it was horrible. I'm just saying you don't get much sleep the first 2 years, if you have 2 kids you should know so I don't see how you think it is rude, it is just the truth!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2010