Baby food vs. formula

My daughter rather have baby food than a bottle. She's 8 months old. I give her 2 jars a day along with 2 feedings of cereal. She drinks bottles with this, but maybe only 2-4 oz.

Is that ok? Now yes yes yes, I know until babies are 1 they are supposed to primarily have only formula, but if she won't take a bottle do you prefer she get no nutrition at all? I can't force her to take a bottle and I figure something is better than nothing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try to give her at least 24 oz of formula daily until she turns 1. Anything above and beyond that is unnecessary. Maybe try doing a sippy cup which is better for her teeth instead of the bottle, she might see it more as a drink w/ the meal instead of the meal.
    mombychoice1982

Answer by mombychoice1982 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Well, since YOU are the one giving food/bottle, you can control what she eats. It's supposed to be bottle/breast first, THEN solids.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• my son is the same way right now. hes 10 months old. the DR said alls he needs is about 20 oz formula. but you make his cereal with formula too right? so hes getting some in that. i feed him breakfast and dinner fruit & rice cereal, and then a meat & veggie for lunch. and i get him to eat a few small bottles but not many. just make sure you give lots of water, i give him plenty of water so that he doesnt dehydrated without all the formula. i give it to him out of my water bottle or out of a cup
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I would be sure and always offer her formula first, and then solids if you aren't doing it that way already. Also, be sure and make her cereal using formula to get a little extra into her that way. You can also offer formula from a sippy cup with meals to encourage her to drink more if she just isn't into the bottle as much anymore. In addition to the cereal and babyfood, you can also offer 1 serving of full fat yogurt per day at this age (something like YoBaby is good).
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Give the formula in a sippy cup before the food.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Has she been doing this for long? Does she have enough wet diapers? Try to give her the full bottle before the solids (maybe even keep the solids out of sight). You might want to keep a food/diaper log for a week or so and talk to your doc. Every baby's needs are different. As long as she's growing well and the doc is not worried, try not to worry too much. Many folks have told me that babies don't starve themselves - they eat what they need.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2010