Would you be upset if your child dated someone outside of your race?

I'm not prejudice or anything, but I just prefer that mychildren stick to their own race. I kind of worried that my 17 year old son might be seeing a black/hispanic girl.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Nope.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No, I wouldn't be upset. I'd only be upset if my child were dating someone who didn't respect him/her.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No my daughter is black I am white who knows who she'll chose. I don't care as long as he's not a loser. Although she tells me she is never going to get married and live with me forever... lol
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I really understand what you mean about dating inside of your race. But, if one of my children decide that someday they want to date a hispanic/black/asian/etc, I think I'd be okay with that. It's their choice, and I would back them up. Sure, I'd probably be a little uncomfortable at first, but once I get to know them and if they are an overall good person, I would be able to accept that.
    AirForceWife14

Answer by AirForceWife14 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me at all
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 9:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I am white. My daughter's father is 100% Portuguese. His parents resented me because their first grandchild wasn't going to be fully Portuguese. Whatever. You can't always choose who you fall in love with. My SO is an amazing man...and I would love him no matter what race he was....you say you're not prejiduce...but obviously you're mistaken because if you don't want your child dating someone outside of your race...there's some kind of issue there...soo don't lie to yourself..and that is not a very good way to raise your child. He's old enough to make his own decisions about who he likes and does not..and who he dates. Do not get angry with him for this...it will confuse him...and he will probably get very angry with you, and act out....and that will not be good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It would upset me, simply because I feel like they would face a lot of hardship and hurt because of prejudice. I, personally, would not care, but anything that could potentially hurt my child makes me worry. A relationship that I know in the area we live would cause them problems is no exception to that.
    Anonymous

• it actually is prejudice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No just as long they respected them. I couldn't care if they were purple with pink polka dots..
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• this is the op,,,,,,anon 09 explained it well. The main reason I would be upset is because of the ridicule and hardship he may have to face. I want him to be happy and not have to face this kind of stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2010