US healthcare reform is boon for India outsourcing companies? Thoughts?

In particular, outsourcers can expect to benefit from insurers’ need to minimize administrative costs, Mr. Mukerji says, citing a recent Deloitte Center for Health Solutions study showing that up to 41 percent of the cost of a health plan is administrative.

The US healthcare reform offers a "natural extension" of the back-office outsourcing that Indian companies already specialize in, says Tu Packard, a senior economist with Moody's Economy.com.

Outsourcing comes to America But some services in the US healthcare industry cannot be outsourced beyond America's borders due to regulations. That’s one reason major Indian outsourcing firms have set up shop in the United States. In a twist, America's outsourcers are now outsourcing back to America.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 9:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The addition of 32 million insured Americans is “very significant” for Indian outsourcers, says Ananda Mukerji, chief executive officer of Firstsource Solutions in Mumbai. Companies like his will see “increased opportunities” as US health insurers and hospitals scramble to reorganize to comply with the new law, he wrote in an email to the Monitor.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Are you suprised?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Wow, more jobs for foreigners in other countries no less. Color me not surprised.  Weren't the big wigs in the WH supposed to be working on jobs here at home?  Or was it just jobs - regardless of how many of our citizens are unemployed?  I can never decipher their double talk.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Well Quinn there will be SOME jobs here in the ole US... Many of those companies in India? Yup, they are setting up shop here in the US to expedite what needs to be done in India and what needs to be done in the US.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Yeah, I heard about this yesterday. In Mumbai, they are already gearing up for the extra work they will get. If it will create that many jobs, why are they being out-sourced? Why aren't they being filled here? Oh, our taxes are too high and the unions have made the salaries so inflated that employers can't afford US labor. I forgot.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• that up to 41 percent of the cost of a health plan is administrative.

Like I've been saying from the beginning (do a search), that's a huge part of our hc problem. $$$ and time spent on shuffling (losing) papers.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I am currently trying to out process of one military base and onto another. The government has a different form I have to send to each and every DR in order to be able to out process. It doesn't matter that my insurance company has electronically sent over files.(Similar to that new gov computer record system) The government has a way they do things. Even if it is redundant.. Have to keep those government contractors employed. I forsee something similar to this expensive paper suffling crap being pushed on to taxpayers when the IRS is involved in healthcare.. All compliments of BO-Care..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Nancy promised job creation from the HC bill. She just neglected to say where.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Isn't it wonderful how the US can support half the world? We provide jobs, food, military support, more jobs, money, jobs, food, and did I mention jobs? I sort of halfway wish that we could just pull back all of our support from all these other countries, and regroup. Figure out exactly WHAT we are doing, and then take care of US first, and then lend a hand where it is needed. But I know that will never happen, and probably wouldn't be a good idea in most cases. But, I really do not know why it is just accepted that we as a nation can send so much of our work overseas, when we need those jobs ourselves. (I know the labor is cheaper, materials are cheaper, taxation is less) It just seems wrong, somehow. At least it SHOULD be.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• "Well Quinn there will be SOME jobs here in the ole US... Many of those companies in India? Yup, they are setting up shop here in the US to expedite what needs to be done in India and what needs to be done in the US. "

That's not anything new. It's been going on in information technology for a while. More than half the jobs my husband has interviewed for in the past six months have been from Indian IT companies that have set up shop in the US to outsource.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2010