How can I get the smell of cat pee out of my carpet and keep the cat from peeing there again?

We moved into an older home and it didn't smell like cats to me, but our cat has been peeing in just one corner and I can't get her to stop. I've tried baking soda, frabreeze (sp?), and Lysol. I even covered the spot with a piece of cardboard, but she's peeing on top of it now! Help!!

Erin333

Asked by Erin333 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Pets

• nature's Miracle. it's an enzyme cleaner. You can get it at the pet store. Use cold water with it, never hot.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:31 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Try moth balls to keep your cat from going in that corner, they dont like the smell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I'd take her to the vet and have her checked for a bladder infection before I did anything else. Then I would get something specifically for cat urine smell
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• We moved into a house that had a hot tub outside that apparently, before we moved there, had had animals living under it, and they had peed all around under it. What the exterminator suggested - and it worked really great - was peppermint oil. You want the "straight stuff". If I remember it right, we got it at a drug store from the pharmacist.

It will neutralize the urine smell. As far as stopping your cat from going there, I don't know :-(

Good luck though!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• When my cat got older he did that. I had someone come in to clean the carpets and it didn't get the smell out at all. I had to throw all of our rugs away. I didn't buy new ones until he died. I don't know if you can ever get the smell out because it's probably on the pad under the rug too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I wish i knew!! I cant get my cat to stop jumping in my plants and peeing in them, Ive tried the tin foil thing and no luck yet.. hes such a lil pest sometimes lol
    Anonymous

• Anon -3:46 PM: I also had to get rid of all my plants. My cat did the same thing. It was really gross.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Sigh....Good news is, we'll be replacing the carpet next year. I just need to find something to stop her from going there....
    Erin333

Answer by Erin333 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I heard orange peels work!
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• We rented a rug doctor and got the pet odor eliminator spray...... we sprayed the spot heavily and let it sit for at least a half an hour...... the smell came out --- even passed the nose to floor test! The kitty that did this was banished to the bedroom for a little further kitty box lesson-- she wasn't even allowed in that area any longer..... and she's fine now. She's a young kitty though.... hopes this helps!
    1organicmom

Answer by 1organicmom at 1:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2010