fish..

my dd is almost 2, and we tried salmon for the first time with her last night..she really liked it, and so far has shown no reaction to it...when is it ok to give your child fish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We started regular fish after one, and shell fish after two. I think fish is fine; it's shell fish that you really have to watch out for. I would wait until two to try shell fish. I would probably delay it further if there is a family history of allergies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Its okay after the age of one. I offer it to my daughter, but she wont eat it, go figure,lol. But I keep putting it on her plate, hoping she will take to it!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:15 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Just watch for fish that tend to have bones. Otherwise, go for it. I've gotten mixed info on shellfish. Our pediatrician (who's also a dietician) initially told us to wait on shellfish (and peanut butter) until the child was old enough to communicate (i.e could tell you if there was a problem like an itchy throat). However, the next time we visited and got to talking about this, she mentioned that newer reports have shown that introducing these type foods sooner rather than later may actually reduce the risk of allergies.. She admitted she wasn't sure what to advise at this point...
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2010