getting a divorce attorney

My husband and I have decided to get divorced. We've gone through and decided everything we want to do and agree on pretty much everything. So now I am at the point of contacting an attorney and getting the paperwork- I have an attorney's # and everything, I am just not sure what to say. Do I just call and say "Hey I need to file for divorce, can you help me?" or what? lol This seems like such a stupid thing to feel weird about, but I want to call and be normal! Thanks ladies!! :)

soccerchik8287

Asked by soccerchik8287 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• you call and say"I am interested in hiring you to represent me in my divorce". they will take it from there. sorry about your marriage but glad you are watching out for yourself by hiring someone. I did my own and I didnt get as much as I could have. I was trying to be nice, big mistake lol. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I'd say I'm calling to in regard to having an uncontested divorced filed. That gives them a lot of information to begin with. It also can be cheaper since uncontested divorces don't take as much of their time.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• You can say whatever you want to the attorney. They hear it ALL.

Do make sure you get fees up front. Since your divorce is mostly settled, you may be able to negotiate for a flat fee. Just because the lawyer says $150 hourly and another says $250 hourly doesn't mean squat. One may bill you for 75 hours and the other for 4 hours.

You can also file your divorce yourself (called filing "pro se") and then hire the lawyer. It will save you some money.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Just let the attorney know what the situation is....I would watch out for an attorney who tries to turn your uncontested divorce into a fight! If you already agree on everything, the fee should be a flat fee. Many attorneys give free consultations so you can see if you are comfortable with their attitude. My husband and I went to an attorney together since we also agreed on everything and he told us what our options were. We still haven't followed through---he told us it would cost 3000.00 but we have not shopped around at all. He had a great attitude and was not trying to make us fight it out--he accepted that we agreed on things. I think my husband and I are perpetually separated---it is working out okay for us as I think we just don't want to spend the money on the divorce!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2010