Can you get unemployment if your work doesnt offer paid maternity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No, because you still have a job, you are just on maternity leave
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Actually ladys you are both wrong, You can get unemployment on maturnity leave due to it being a short term layoff from work. Mr obama has changed alot of things for unemployment. Call your local office and talk to you hr person at your job and go from there
    downnoutmom

Answer by downnoutmom at 10:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No you can't I just was on unpaid maternity leave and was denied for unemployment because I was not unemployed just on leave.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• You can get temporary disability.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I attempted to get unemployment on my last maternity leave which began in November of 2008. They said I couldnt get it for that. However, I pay for short term diability from work and was able to recieve that.
    I don't know about the changes the pp said that was made by Obama...if there are changes for that, that is great! Call unemployment in your area and ask. Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I didn't get unemployment nor short term disability
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No, under the FMLA you are entitled to unpaid time off and since you are on leave, you are still employed. I think its great that there are still companies out there that provide paid time off and/or short term disability. When I had my kids 10 and 15 years ago, this was the norm. From what I understand this is no longer the case. I was told it stems from the feminist movement that declares having a baby NOT a disability and that pregnant women are not disabled. The insurance companies and benefits departments followed suit and removed it from the menu of benefits. As a former pregnant woman that gave birth, I have to say you are disabled in that you can not physically work after childbirth. To me, its not a weakness but rather an acknowledgment of difficult having a baby really is and how amazing women are to be able to do such a thing!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I don't know how things are now. My youngest is 4. I was able to collect short term disability for 6 weeks. It only came to $175 per week.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I was able to take short term disability. I was paid for 6 weeks after delivery, but I took a total of 12 weeks, so I went 6 weeks without pay.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2010