Advice for severe menstrual cramps?

Any suggestions on how to deal with really bad menstrual cramps while still getting through the day.......work, school, social obligations?

Dyndudes

Asked by Dyndudes at 10:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Health

• I've always had cramps so bad that when I was in labor, it didn't really seem that bad. I know what is causing mine, but I won't put it here cuz it's SO tmi your question would probably get reported.

For me, the last few months I've been trying to cut down on my caffeine, sugar, dairy and red meat. It's helping...sort of...basically cuz I can't seem to get off the classic coke. I use ibuprophen also, plus a tea blend by yogi tea called moon time. If my flow gets too bad, I always use some yarrow to slow it down. Otherwise I just use a heating pad, and try to sleep it off. But having two little growing men in the house, 4 and 5....time to rest is a rare treat.

Good luck
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Primrose Oil is supposed to help somewhat. Otherwise I would talk to your doc, there are meds out there than can help
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• blackberry brandy ; )
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Cramp bark-- it's an herb. You can take it as a tea. It works very very well.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• ecodani............

Where would I buy that?
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I use a massager for the worst of it and moist heat. I have an organic heating pad. I wet it a bit and micro it for a couple of minutes and apply to the worst places. My mom made a comment when I was a kid that grossed me out but when mine got so bad I ended up in the ER, I was willing to try it. She said sex (eww) couldn't go there, but I did discover that judicious use of a vibrator helps immensely. Not for everyone obviously but I've had really good results. besides an orgasm puts me to sleep and that has always been the best cure for me. I also use Ibuprofen. I will however give some of these other suggestions a try.
    Anonymous

• I go to my yoga class and tell the instructor, she throws in poses that are suppose to help and it has. Just being fit in gneral can help, and I never skip a workout the endorphins help.

Anonymous

• Exercise is great for helping with PMS and all of that fun stuff. It doesn't have to be a two hour power session or anything, just a walk around the block or a 15 minute low impact video is fine.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 5:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I had an ablation done. I'm really happy with the results. But you have to get fixedto get it done
    GothicMama

Answer by GothicMama at 6:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I second cramp bark, it really is great. Vitex is supposed to be great too.
    But the best idea is to get rid of them altogether, not just suppress them. The only thing that worked for me was to start drinking water and to completely cut out dairy.
    Oh, and another good remedy is to have a banana every day. EVERY day.
    Of course the cramp bark, vitex, bananas etc will work depending on the cause of your cramps in the first place. Play around a bit.

Good luck.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 9:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2010