Escaping from a domestic violence situation

Me and my children have recently escaped from their father who was beating me everyday. My boys have seen him do it over and over. I am having a few problems with them now and dont know how to handle them. Im not really comfortable yet in anything and constantly looking over my sholder. I need some one who has been in the situation or just dosent mind listing to help figure some things out.. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I left an abusive relationship with my ex two years ago. While I was not physically beaten in front of my son, I was verbally and emotionally abused where he oculd hear it. My son had learned not to really respect me because of this. Since then, we have built a very strong bond, and he knows he has to respect me! I would say, first get you and your boys safe! Explain to them how unacceptable what they saw was, and that that is the reason you left. Then, work from there. If you would like to contact me, to talk more, I would be glad to help in any way I can.
    Also there is a group on here called "Guardian Angels" that helps women leaving abusive situations!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I have been though a verbally/mentally abusive marriage. It took some creative thinking in order to get out of it. I also have 3 boys, 2 of which were born of that marriage, and took some work to help turn them around from witnessing a lot of the abuse.... Contact me anytime...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:29 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It's been almost 2 years since I left... I was raped, beaten, burned, mutilated, poisoned, imprisoned (he nailed all of the windows shut, reversed teh locks, took the phone, tv, radio, computer, and even my books... this went on for 4 months), he has made over a dozen attempts on my life- 8 of those while I was pregnant. Staled me and threatened to kill me after I got our son back (seized by police for abuse)- he kidnapped him when we separated, and withheld him for 4 months... I could go on for hours, but I won't. If you want to vent, or just need someone to talk to- been there, done that, and I'm alive!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2010