my dd has..........

......started climbing up on the counters!!!...she pulled a chair over to the counter and climbed up on it and climbed onto the counter and tried to get into the cabinets..any suggestions to get it across that its dangerous and she'll hurt herself if she falls???? (she's very stubborn and has to learn the hard way on just about everything)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was one of those that didn't ( i still don't) like to swat the butt. But this is a case of getting your point across. Better her feelings and butt get hurt a little then a trip to the ER trying to explain why your DD was climbing in the first place. Same goes for running out into the street.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Try to keep her out of the kitchen...I have a baby gate up to keep my son out of the kitchen area
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• the way our kitchen is set up..it's impossible to keep our dd out of the kitchen...the stair banister and our cabinets start right infront of each other...so there's no way to put a gate up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I'm assuming you can hear as she drags the chair to the counter? You're probably going to have to keep close enough to her to immediately act (put her in time-out or whatever you usually use for discipline) until this phase passes. I've found that telling my son he's going to get a really big "boo-boo" tends to slow him down these days (he's 3 and knows about "boo-boos".. You can also try putting locks on the cabinet doors to make the experience less interesting.. You might also try putting non-skip pads under the chairs (you typically use them under couches to keep them from moving on hardwood floors). She most likely won't be able to move the chairs unless she figures out how to pick them up. Admittedly, you'll have to do the same thing but it might also slow her down until this phase passes...
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2010