Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

So, I'm 90% sure that my SIL's little girl has FAS - SIL didn't realize she was pregnant for three+ months, and now her DD is 29 mos. and is... different. Its pretty obvious, that SOMETHING isn't right. She can't really speak very clearly, she doesn't have any sort of regulation of her emotions at all, she has a VERY funny look on her face all the time, like she is being shocked or something. I don't know if I ought to say something to SIL - she has never mentioned anything being wrong, but it is SO obvious that something IS wrong. What do I do? I want to know what it up with this little girl, to know if it is something genetic or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• leave it up to her pediatrician
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• She may know, have already been to a specialist, and have a confirmed case of fetal alcohol syndrome. And she may feel terrible and guilty and be hiding it from the family.

I wouldn't say anything. Her child is old enough that a doctor would have noticed this by now. Since she didn't know she was pregnant, I'm sure she feels just terrible. Wait for her to bring it up with you. She may need support.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I have a family member whose child is affected by FAS. Until we had temp custody of her we never knew. Perhaps your SIL is too embarrassed to tell family or anyone. I would support her and encourage her to get all the neccesary therapies and treatments available to help her child grow up as normal and healthy as possible. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2010

• No, FAS is not genetic - it's from the mother drinking while pregnant. If she didn't drink alcohol while pregnant, it may be another developmental disorder but it would be a good idea to get a developmental evaluation if she hasn't already.

Answer by missanc at 12:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!! Let her deal with it, she is the mother. How do you know she hasn't had her evaluated yet and doesn't feel like sharing with everyone the results? Worry about your own kids.
    Anonymous

• What...did she drink everyday for those three months? I didn't know that I was pregnant with my first either until I was three and a half months along. And I got pregnant with my second three weeks after I had my first so I didn't drink with him...but he has a speach problem and motor stills are alittle off too. Some kids are just different. The say that a child with FAS eyes are really close together and that they a narrows heads....that's what I heard. You need to read up on it before you jump to that. MY son was almost three and talked at a 12month level. I didn't drink or do anything with him, and he seems to have an off in space look on his face all the time. And hes not metally challenged...he just Needed alittle more help in speach then other kids. I'd leave it alone before you hurt your family.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2010