Donor/Designer children

So, I've just finished watching "My Sister's Keeper" (NOT the best way to start off the day) and I keep going back to the same question: How many people would scientifically design a baby to be a 100% donor match if they had a sick child?

All comments welcome, but please ladies...don't bash another person b/c of their views. Thanks!

clhadley

Asked by clhadley at 11:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I just watched that move last week. What a tear-jerker!!!

As for myself, I'm not sure if I could scientifically design a child for those reasons. I wouldn't want my child to grow up feeling used and unwanted. But on the other hand, my views may be different if I were ever put in that situation.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 12:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I dont think i would...but if my child was really sick, i might act differently.

however, i think you should read the book. it has so much more to it and they COMPLETELY changed the ending. It is really one of my favorite books.

I would actually say that the movie is pretty much a different story than the book and it almost upsets me how they did the movie. i know that is silly of me....but i feel like the book had such a better message.....or story....not sure how to word it, but i would really tell everyone that they need to read the book.

its by Jodi Picoult
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Oh Gawd, that movie made me bawl my eyes out! Gotta be honest tho and say I would never birth a child simply to be a donor to another. However, if I should have any other children and they were donor matches, I might ASK them if they wanted to, but I wouldn't guilt them into it like the parents in the movie saying 'youll do it if you love your sister', and I'd make sure they knew the risks and all that.

You're gonna be sad all day now, lol.
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 12:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• Aly, I didn't know there was a book! Thank you!
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 12:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• The movie made me think differently about it. I dont think the parents knew it would be a long term thing, just a one time stem cell donation in the beginning. (well maybe that was the book) Until i saw the movie i would've never thought how it would make the donor child feel. I think mostly parents would do anything to save their child but technology is bringing out options now that we have never had to consider before.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I read the book, that was enough for me. I would never do it. That poor girl...
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I haven't seen the movie, but I think if my child was really really sick and that was the only way to save her then I would have to consider it.
    Mysticjadeyoda

Answer by Mysticjadeyoda at 9:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2010