What is an appropriate amt. for a 10 yr. old and 7yr.old allowances.

hoochimama987

Asked by hoochimama987 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 10 and 8 year olds get $4/week - $2 to spend/save as they wish, and $2 to put in their savings accounts at the credit union. They have chores that are required in order to get their allowance (wash one load of clothes, sweep the kitchen after supper two nights, etc) and then they have additional chores that aren't connected to their allowance (taking out trash, unloading dishwasher, etc).

Answer by missanc at 12:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• It depends on what you can afford, and what the kids are expected to be responsible for buying. Is it for all their toys and games, or just for extra stuff? Figure out what you consider a reasonable budget for what they are responsible for buying, and set the allowances accordingly.
    Anonymous

• It kind of depends on what opportunities they have to spend money. If you want them to handle buying their lunch and clothes from their allowance, then you'll need to make it high enough to cover that, but if it's just spending money I'd keep it pretty low.
    7 yo - $1 to $2 per week
    10 yo - $3 to $5 per week

Or go by their age - 7 yo = $7, 10 yo = $10 - if you do this and add a dollar per week each year then you'll still have it under $20 per week when they are in HS
    Anonymous

• Don't give allowance unless they deserve it-House hold chores- I am not talking about what is expected of them, I am talking about the extras around the house-vacumming, taking out the garbage, and all that other stuff, and what you can afford.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• I never got it when I was a kid. I always thought it was kinda weird. I just got money from my parents when I needed it. And I grew up on a farm and had a lot of chores.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2010

• $0. Children need to learn that ddoing chores is a part of keeping the home running smoothly and you ddon'tt get paid for doing that.
    Anonymous

• Chores and allowance do not have to be tied! Children should do chores to help contribute to the home and to feel good about themselves, not because they are paid to do them; in fact, paying them for basic chores will reduce their level of pride in their accomplishments. Allowances are important too because children need to learn how to handle money, and handling money is a skill that takes lots of practice. You should set an allowance high enough that the kids have some spending money for little things, but low enough that they will have to save up for bigger things. It's also fine to let your kids do extra work around the house to earn extra money. Determining an exact amount will depend on your budget and what you feel is an appropriate amount for your kids.

A GREAT resource for setting chores and allowances is the Love & Logic book or CD called "Didn't I Tell You To Take Out The Trash?"
    Anonymous